Building A Booty and Booty Goals....Is It Possible?

Options
I've been lifting since October of last year. Almost one solid year of heavy squats, accessory work and overall strength gained. My original goal was to be as thick as Ana Cheri, Katya, Sommer Ray and all of the other drool-worthy IG models with thick behinds. After a year, I've made progress. I am MUCH stronger, more solid, and have gained inches, however my question is...as a shorty (4' 11") with a petite frame and extremely basic background (German...just German...) is it even an attainable goal to be as thick and "busty" (yes, I just used this term to refer to booties...it works...you knew what I meant, right?!) as them? Or think I'll just continue getting more athletic? Most of them squat with the barbell and I do Smith squats (200 PR, but I rep 110-160 every heavy leg day) with a variety of other heavy and moderate weighted lifts, does that make a difference? (Don't hate on the Smith machine...I have feet problems, already working on integrating barbell, hence my other post)

Sorry for the basic girl post, just wondering if the physical goals that I've set for myself are able to be achieved or not since I keep surpassing my strength goals.

Replies

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    You are probably not ever going to look like an Instagram model except in photos where you employ all the same photography tricks that they do (and, frankly, in most cases, have surgery or injections, etc.) Remember that what you see from those women really isn't quite reality and no one walks around looking like that every second of the day including them.

You can build muscle and you can certainly attain something approaching the shape you are after, but if you are hoping to look in real life like pictures of one of those women who's made photos of her butt her job, you are bound to be disappointed.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    When you say you've been lifting, has this been at a deficit, maintenance, have you run any bulk cycles? Also, what programming are you following?

In order to really build and get that thick look, you would ideally want to run a few bulk/cut cycles or at least eat at maintenance and recomp. It can take years. I have been working on my glutes for at least 2.5 years and still nowhere near where I want to be. A lot of the fitness models I follow are past or current bikini competitors who run bulks in their off-season. This gives me hope that it is attainable, but it takes lots of time, patience and hard work. I am also realistic.. my genetics may not take me there and that's ok... at the end of the day I may have more of that athletic build.

Keep in mind, a lot of them know how to get that pose.. Nikki Blackketter has a whole video about how to booty pose and it makes a huge difference! (yes, I am guilty! :p )

• MsSquatAlot
    MsSquatAlot Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    You are probably not ever going to look like an Instagram model except in photos where you employ all the same photography tricks that they do (and, frankly, in most cases, have surgery or injections, etc.) Remember that what you see from those women really isn't quite reality and no one walks around looking like that every second of the day including them.

You can build muscle and you can certainly attain something approaching the shape you are after, but if you are hoping to look in real life like pictures of one of those women who's made photos of her butt her job, you are bound to be disappointed.

This. Don't compare yourself to anyone online as you are setting yourself up for failure. They don't look like that in person (lol). And as Peleroja said, they are definitely enhanced.

Can you build curves with weights? Absolutely. I'm barely 5'1 (legit if that haha) and I like to think I've built curves despite being basic as well. Haha
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »

Social media is literally the basis of most body confidence issues in women and girls. It's such a shame. You are absolutely right though. I tried to base my "IG Inspiration" off of only fitness chicks - those who started small and after a 2-3 year period obtained a muscular or more shapely body, but still, we have no way of knowing what kind of assistance they received thanks to plastic surgery, lasers, etc.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    When you say you've been lifting, has this been at a deficit, maintenance, have you run any bulk cycles? Also, what programming are you following?

In order to really build and get that thick look, you would ideally want to run a few bulk/cut cycles or at least eat at maintenance and recomp. It can take years. I have been working on my glutes for at least 2.5 years and still nowhere near where I want to be. A lot of the fitness models I follow are past or current bikini competitors who run bulks in their off-season. This gives me hope that it is attainable, but it takes lots of time, patience and hard work. I am also realistic.. my genetics may not take me there and that's ok... at the end of the day I may have more of that athletic build.

Keep in mind, a lot of them know how to get that pose.. Nikki Blackketter has a whole video about how to booty pose and it makes a huge difference! (yes, I am guilty! :p )

My nutrition is slightly above maintenance (set to maintenance but most of the time I eat back exercise calories). I have a program through my trainer, which I follow 5-6 x week depending on what's going on in life. We recently talked about a bulk cycle, but I'm quite nervous to start this! I know you have to gain some amount of fat in order to gain significant amounts of muscle but I'm a little iffy as to if my training will be "hard enough" to constitute large amounts of muscle growth. Muscle = strength, so that would be fun to be able to push up PR's more often. Great advice about being patient, it gives me encouragement that you have been lifting for so long and still feel like you have a way to go (you look AMAZING, by the way!) because sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who isn't yet satisfied. And hahaha I have to look up the video!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    No, it isn't possible.

Your genetics are specific to you. Be the best you, you can be. Everything else is noise.
  • heaven199125
    heaven199125 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    in my opinion, the only way to get bigger is to get shots or plastic surgery. or gain some weight to get curves going. overall, just stay what you got and accept, thats life.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

My nutrition is slightly above maintenance (set to maintenance but most of the time I eat back exercise calories). I have a program through my trainer, which I follow 5-6 x week depending on what's going on in life. We recently talked about a bulk cycle, but I'm quite nervous to start this! I know you have to gain some amount of fat in order to gain significant amounts of muscle but I'm a little iffy as to if my training will be "hard enough" to constitute large amounts of muscle growth. Muscle = strength, so that would be fun to be able to push up PR's more often. Great advice about being patient, it gives me encouragement that you have been lifting for so long and still feel like you have a way to go (you look AMAZING, by the way!) because sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who isn't yet satisfied. And hahaha I have to look up the video!

Yea it can definitely be a mental battle running a bulk because of the fat gain that comes along with it. However if you keep your surplus moderate it shouldn't be too bad. I was worried about the training factor too, I would never feel like I "killed it" in the gym and rarely got DOMS (which I now know means nothing in terms of muscle growth) but my lifts were progressing and measurements increasing in the right places so something was working!

Thanks! While I think it's good to accept what you have and be realistic about your goals... don't settle either. Keep working hard but just know it will take time to make progress. Good luck !