Macros for Marathon Training AND Weight Loss

Options
I've been doing a super low carb diet (10% of my daily calories) for about 8 months and I've lost 40 pounds with it, but recently I've started running. I've decided to train for a marathon, and I know I need more carbs in my diet so I don't die but how much would runners out there recommend? I don't want to go too high, I'm doing about 50% now and I'm noticing that I'm gaining weight slowly (about 2 pounds in the past 2 weeks) and my pants are getting a little tighter. If you've used MFP for marathon dieting, please help me out! THANKS!

Replies

• dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    If you have only shifted your carbs and not your calories, then you are probably experiencing:
    1) water retention due to new exercise
    2) glycogen replenishment due to adding more carbs back in.
    3) a combination of the two.

How's your logging accuracy? Are you using a food scale?

All of this.
    Although, the other thing I will point out, having done training for half marathon in the past, is that it is generally recommended not to try to do a weight loss program during training. One of the reasons is that your body usually needs the extra energy, and it's hard to keep your appetite under control, especially in a calorie deficit. That could account for part of the weight gain, too...you might be eating more without realizing it.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I also was going to mention it's generally recommended to maintain while training and waiting to do your cut until after your event. Both add physical stress (raise cortisol), and the last thing you would want is to derail your training program by getting run down or getting sick. Take one goal at a time and kick *kitten* at your event!

ETA: raised cortisol also causes water retention.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    The red flag I see is "recently started running and decided to train for a marathon". That's generally not a good combination.

Another thing to consider is that you were already low carb, were you exercising at all? If you were & your aerobic capacity is pretty decent, if you keep your intensity of your runs low enough, you may be able to utilize a higher percentage of fat instead of trying to find the level of carbs u can tolerate.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Beginning a running program is challenging. Training for a marathon is challenging (especially if you don't have a running base established, as most experts recommend for marathon training). Losing weight is challenging.

Having done all three and currently training for a marathon, I wouldn't do all three at the same time.

I would either set the goal of losing weight while building a running base (short of marathon training mileage) *or* continuing to train for a marathon while maintaining my current weight.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above, specifically the marathon training part. Aim for shorter race distances first, build up a consistent base, and then in 2-3 years think about starting to train for a marathon. Seriously. It will be make the marathon experience much more enjoyable.