Walking for weightloss

How successful is having walking as primary exercise. I walk 3-4 days a week for 2-4 miles each time depending on how I feel and if there's a time restraint. Is it possible to lose quite a bit over time by doing that plus watching what I eat and tracking calories?

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    You can definitely create a large calorie deficit from walking, it just takes more time out of your day to burn those calories compared to higher intensity exercise.

The only exercise i do is walking, I aim for 10 miles a day and eat no more than 50% of my exercise calories back. I have my fitbit synced to mfp.
  • timetogetfit86
    timetogetfit86 Posts: 24 Member
    I just started back up a couple weeks ago. I'm using either baby wearing or pushing a jogging stroller and try to only be out in the heat for 2 hours or less.
  • Christine_72
    P.S check out my diary if you want to get a general estimate of what you can burn by just walking. I say 'general estimate' because i think the numbers are overestimated, which is why i don't eat all of those calories back.

Pay no attention to Saturday and Sunday, those were incredibly off days :(
  • timetogetfit86
    I haven't been taking my food like needed but i have my walking. I try to not eat my calories back but i have it set at 1800
  • Pow377
    Pow377 Posts: 73 Member
    6lb lost so far from walking/logging, last time I did mfp I lost over 40lb
  • timetogetfit86
    Pow377 wrote: »

How long have you been walking?
  • Christine_72
    I haven't been taking my food like needed but i have my walking. I try to not eat my calories back but i have it set at 1800

Accurate food logging/eating the correct amount of calories is key to weight loss. you could walk to the moon and back everyday, but if you are eating more than you burn you will gain weight.
  • Pow377
    Pow377 Posts: 73 Member
    Pow377 wrote: »

How long have you been walking?

Only a couple of weeks, but I am logging too.
    Plus a chunk of that will be initial water weight. I do about 5km every morning before work.
  • mb994
    mb994 Posts: 2 Member
    You can definitely lose weight from just walking and tracking your calories. And you don't necessarily need to go outdoors to walk. Because it is quite hot in the summer where I live, I often walk laps inside the house where it is cool.
  • timetogetfit86
    It's pretty warm here as well. I try to go about 8am or somewhere mostly shaded if it's later.
  • valerialeek
    valerialeek Posts: 65 Member
    Get on YouTube and do some walking workouts by Jessica smith tv