Weight Lifting Programs?!

Options
Right, so just lately I have been incorporating some lifting into my attempt at losing weight. I just want to explain to people what EXACTLY I am doing in regards to lifting weights, and see what else I need to do, because to be honest, I'm not sure if I'm doing enough.

Each night, before I go to bed I am doing arm curls with 10KG dumbbells on each arm. I do 10 reps on each arm, have a 1 minute break, then do it again, then again. So I do 30 reps on each arm. Then every other day I am lifting 25KG on my chest, again, in the sets of 10.

So, is this enough? Should I be doing more? I am kind of reluctant to do weight exercises on my lower body, as I have got arthritis in my spine and I get BAD sciatic pains sometimes. As I do cardio on my treadmill and punch bad everyday, I don't want to trigger my sciatic nerve up doing lower body weights, as the pain stops me from doing my cardio!

Any weight listing buffs out there that have any advice on potential weight lifting programs? If so, it would be muchos appreciated!

Replies

• _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at body beast? It sounds scary but it's a programme of weight lifting that targets different areas of your body so if you didn't want to do the legs part you could skip it. It gives you a structured way to tone up your muscles. It's one of the Beachbody DVDs. Alternatively P90X uses weights both are good programmes.
  • MaryinBflo
    MaryinBflo Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    check out bodybuilding.com
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would try and do more compound movements. Though it might be scary, you might find that more full body movements will improve any aches etc, that you have. Just be careful.

It really just depends what your goals are?