Power cage, barbell and bench have arrived - what now!?

Options
2»

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    subakwa wrote: »
    I have been videoing myself doing squats. I suck. I am trying to practice without a bar, and they aren't so bad then, but add the bar and it changes everything.

Any squat advice is gratefully received! I have been reading Starting Strength and everything he says on squats I get - I just struggle to turn it into a movement my body does!

Rippetoe
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    subakwa wrote: »
    I have been videoing myself doing squats. I suck. I am trying to practice without a bar, and they aren't so bad then, but add the bar and it changes everything.

Any squat advice is gratefully received! I have been reading Starting Strength and everything he says on squats I get - I just struggle to turn it into a movement my body does!

Rippetoe

Yes, Rippetoe.

I guess it is practice, practice, practice!

• curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    first of all your home gym is spectacular. you did it right the first time instead of doing what so many of us do and purchase this here and that there. I personally still own an adjustable bench and squat stand even after investing in a power rack simply because I've been too lazy to attempt to sell it.

A plate tree or rack mounted weight storage is a good investment. I drilled holes through my plate storage posts and put pins in them so that my children can't accidentally pull plates off the posts onto themselves without pulling the pins first.

Also look at your rack manufacturers website and see what optional attachments they offer such as a set of dip bars or a lat pulldown/ seated row add on. Not part of sl 5x5 but still maybe useful towards your goals.

after the basics a second barbell was my splurge Mostly because of the small space I have to work with it makes changing from one exercise to another easy and once you progress onto another plan it may be a must have.
  • subakwa
    Options
    @lsutton484 - thanks!

There is a lat pull down too, which I haven't built up yet, purely because we wanted start out simple. Must get round to it though, you are right.

Good point o the second barbell. I can already see that switching in and out of the rack could become tiresome, so thanks for highlighting that.

I am already in love with having this right by the house. I am studying today but nipped out to get a session in and the time out was only the length of the session. I couldn't have taken any time to drive the 30+ mins to our nearest gym, so that workout would ever have happened. I could get into this...
  • subakwa
    Options
    Hanging thing is suspension straps (TRX style) tied back out the way. Good for stretching and body weight exercises (or for swinging on if you are my 4 year old!)
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    That looks awesome!