Help with movement for semi-invalide.

Options
Hi, I am finding weight loss almost impossible under my present circumstances. I have had some health issues over the last four or five years, which has culminated in a shoulder replacement and the other will be operated on in the New Year. I am keeping under 1500 cals and the needle on the scales still refuse to move that needle! Any ideas would be gratefully received..... ;D

Replies

• Rupi40
    Rupi40 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Eftguru, I have been battling with my weight too, finally I think I found something that works for me, I reduced my calories to 1200 a day, I do a 40 to 60min walk daily, also do not eat after 6pm, if hungry have a drink or piece of fruit. At last my weight has started to shift, also gave up fizzy drinks, experiment with your food and the times you eat, when i go to bed a little hungry i know i will loose in the morning, i hope this helps, Goodluck.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I would discuss your weight loss goals with the doctor treating your medical conditions. Maybe ask for a dietetics referral.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Without understanding all of your health issues, it is hard to make any solid recommendations. However, the weight loss game is not just about calories in and calories out. There are two other things to consider:
    1) Calories are estimates and the formulas are estimates based on estimates. Your needs and the amount your eating can differ. Are you measuring all of your food? Are you basing your needs on your true lifestyle? Are there other factors that might be affecting your metabolism (e.g., thyroid function).
    2) Hormones play a big part. I already mentioned thyroid, but other hormone responses that can keep you fat are insulin (resistance), testosterone (low), cortisol, ghrelin, and leptin (insensitivity).

You manage these two areas not only by how much you eat, but by what you eat. Work with your doctor to find an eating plan that fits your needs.

Allan Misner
    NASM Certified Personal Trainer,
    Host of the 40+ Fitness Podcast