Diet plan

Hello everyone,
I had a question regarding exercising and healthy eating. A guy I know lost 30+ kgs in a year. He told me that when he began the change, he ate healthy food for about 3 months without exercising and lost some of his weight, and then started exercising after the first 3 months. Now I wanted to know if this is possible, and if it is essential to start off with eating healthy food for a while before exercising, if this is true it would help me out since I get discouraged quickly (When I exercise for a long time my motivation burns out).

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    To lose weight, all you need is a sustained calorie deficit.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Nothing is essential for weight loss but a calorie deficit. You need to eat fewer calories than your body uses. How you get there is up to you.

I've lost about 100 pounds in about 18 months. I eat basically the same foods I ate before I started losing (in smaller portions and with some lower-calorie substitutions) and I don't exercise.

A well-balanced diet is good for overall health. Exercise is good for overall health. For weight loss, you need to find a way of eating that you can comfortably handle that puts you in a calorie deficit.

If you get discouraged quickly, you might be better served to just make one small change at a time. Log your food for a couple of weeks so that you can go back through to see where you might eat smaller portions and/or make substitutions. Do exercise that you like if you want to exercise. Don't burn yourself out. Weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint.
  • Spook_Skywalker
    Spook_Skywalker Posts: 180 Member
    The easiest way to not get discouraged is to ease into this change. Start by cutting out/back on the big things like soda, fast food, cakes/treats. Don't stop everything at once. You don't need to "exercise" right away, but it would be beneficial to start doing some light walks right away. That way when you do start to exercise your body is already used to some activity.

Drink lots of water and stay in a calorie deficit. Don't worry about eating extremely "healthy" at first, you will get there in time!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Maybe this guy has a little to loose before he could tackle exercise.. He lost weight not because of the healthy food, but because he was in a calorie deficit. Perhaps the healthy food "part" he made in his statement to you was that he was still eating volumes of food than he was before, but the caloric value of these foods were less than the calorie dense foods perhaps he was eating.

Don't know the details, like was he counting calories? etc.. I presume not.. but in short he was eating less calories than he burned each day therefore lost weight.

Exercise, you don't have to do it.. is is not a requirement at all to loose weight. And if you want to exercise later that ok too, just make sure that your activity or exercise is fun and something you will enjoy doing, no ones likes to make exercise a chore! :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    You don't have to eat healthy food to lose weight (though it's better for satiety and nutrients). All you need is a calorie deficit.
  • Dero1794
    Dero1794 Posts: 14 Member
    Thank you all for your motivating replies. I know now what to do and I have a clearer view of how to do it.
    :)