Couch to 5k

Options
13»

Replies

• jordanamrussell
    jordanamrussell Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I just finished C25K about 2 weeks ago. Love this program! I'm now running 3-4 miles a few times a week. Next up, C210K :)
  • jdawson002
    jdawson002 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Done W6D1 tonight....whoop
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Good job runners!
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Out for a week because I'm sick and I miss running so bad. :( I have almost finished couch to 5k. Can't wait to get back out there!!
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    As a C25K graduate myself my suggestion after C25K is not to focus on going faster (although it's a strong temptation to try and get that 5K time down!) but instead on gradually increasing duration.
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    epr3996 wrote: »
    ashcky wrote: »
    Out for a week because I'm sick and I miss running so bad. :( I have almost finished couch to 5k. Can't wait to get back out there!!

I finished it a couple weeks ago be sure not to try and speed up to much afterwards I made the mistake of going faster then I couldn't figure out why i couldn't finish the 5k without walking then i realised that my headphones were now botheting when i run then one day the wife told me i was getting home faster so i checked the times on mapmywalk and yep so must faster i slowed down anf now all is good!

Oh yes I know, I am still at a snails pace but that's okay with me. Faster than I used to be!
  • StuartPW
    StuartPW Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Congrats on starting your running life! C25K is an excellent program that emphasizes fun and sustainability. Remember to post often of your successes and travails. Runners are a great bunch of folks. :)
  • laffercat
    laffercat Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I have finished Week 6 day 2. Tomorrow I'm doing a 5k only because my friend is the coordinator. I know I'm not ready to run the whole thing but I plan on running as much as I can and then walk. I'm nervous but excited!
  • Rinde99
    Rinde99 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    laffercat wrote: »
    I have finished Week 6 day 2. Tomorrow I'm doing a 5k only because my friend is the coordinator. I know I'm not ready to run the whole thing but I plan on running as much as I can and then walk. I'm nervous but excited!

Most important thing is to have fun!
  • WhimsyWayward
    WhimsyWayward Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    i have started it so many times! the farthest i have gotten was the third week. something always happens to my phone! i just switched to a samsung galaxy active and i guess i will be trying the app again with this (seemingly) more durable phone.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I started it several weeks ago and got to week 3. Then I had to work late for a over a week and missed a whole week. I started over today. :'( Just felt like I couldn't pick up where I left off.
  • micayla75
    micayla75 Posts: 219 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    What is considered "fast" or "slow" for a beginner? Does it vary per person? I have no idea if I am going fast enough or slow enough. I keep reading that speed doesn't matter, but I would think some type of minimum is recommended.
  • jdawson002
    jdawson002 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    at the end of C25K, should we be aiming to complete the 5K within 30 minutes?

I have just done a 5 minute warm-up followed by 30 mins run and was only on 2.9 miles. Am I running too slow?
  • Dutchy_77
    Dutchy_77 Posts: 1,695 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    What apps are good for starting this program?

hi i use 5k runner and I'm w5/d2 tomorrow. so far so good since day 3 i lived it.
    i live on the edge of town so within 2 min. walk I'm walking on farm roads.

when i started i really had a hard time running only 1min. yesterday i ran 5 6 5 with 3 min walking in between i really like this program and i started to notice my body change!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    micayla75 wrote: »
    What is considered "fast" or "slow" for a beginner? Does it vary per person? I have no idea if I am going fast enough or slow enough. I keep reading that speed doesn't matter, but I would think some type of minimum is recommended.

no set speed. In some cases the 'running' speed is actually slower than you could walk. The important thing is cadence of feet - ie. that your feet are moving at a swift pace under you, and at some point are both off the ground. make sure you can have a conversation whilst running, or as someone suggested somewhere - sing. That is a good guide for speed.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    jdawson002 wrote: »

I have just done a 5 minute warm-up followed by 30 mins run and was only on 2.9 miles. Am I running too slow?

The c25k is a bit of a misnomer I'm afraid. The majority of people won't actually do finish by doing a 5k in 30 minutes. BUT, what it will do is get you to run continuously for 30 minutes. Can you see how amazing that is? Going from barely managing thirty SECONDS to running thirty MINUTES!!!

To get to a 5k, the best thing to do is run for longer and further. You aren't too slow, my time for a 5k after finishing the programme was 36minutes, and is gradually improving.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

definitely not. when i finished c25k i could only run 3.5k excluding my warm up time. i gradually increased my time weekly and in a month i managed to run the 5k in 45' (excluding the warm up time). today i started week 9 of c210k and i'll see how far that gets me. Taking it slow ensures tha i stay injury free and i don't plan to change that anytime soon. As others have said, you'll get faster by increasing your distance.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options

Very, very few people are able to do 5K in 30 minutes by the end of C25K (although there are certainly some that could), although most should be able to run a full 5K - just in a longer time. In my own case I was able to do about a 33 minute 5K at the end and that seemed fairly typical (after week 5 I started extending my C25K runs to a full 5K). It took me another couple of months before I could do 5K in under 30 minutes.
  • EternalTruth
    EternalTruth Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I am dropping back to week 2 once I am feeling better. I have a chest cold right now and just finished getting over something intestinal that had me out of running for a month.

I am thrilled to see how well so many of you are doing. It is very inspiring!