Calories?

Options
How many calories do you guys take in a day? Last week I took in about 2000 to 2600, and I just started this week going for 3,000. I would love to know more about your journey and updates as well. Happy gaining everyone!!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I cut at 2400, maintain at 3k and bulk around 3300.

What are your goals? Anything outside of just gaining? I ask because huge increases in calories over maintenance levels will result in higher amounts of body fat added.

If you have goals of adding muscle or eventually want to be lean or defined then its best to utilize this time as a mean to get there.
  • 3_Stefan_3
    3_Stefan_3 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Bulking at 4000-4200...maintain around 3700-3900

Eating gets old
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Was at 4,000 calories for my first bulk and currently maintaining on in or around 3,100. Great to see others maintaining around that amount. @3_Stefan_3 that is a lot of calories to maintain on. No wonder you find eating is getting old.
  • gainme123
    gainme123 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    I cut at 2400, maintain at 3k and bulk around 3300.

What are your goals? Anything outside of just gaining? I ask because huge increases in calories over maintenance levels will result in higher amounts of body fat added.

If you have goals of adding muscle or eventually want to be lean or defined then its best to utilize this time as a mean to get there.

Well, My goal is to gain about 20lbs, I'm about 120 now, and once I reach140 I'll Start eating less calories to maintain the weight. As for my body goals I want the hour glass shape of course lol. So, if you have any good food or exercise suggestions that are specifically for those areas I'm all for it!
  • gainme123
    Options
    jdscrubs32 wrote: »
    Was at 4,000 calories for my first bulk and currently maintaining on in or around 3,100. Great to see others maintaining around that amount. @3_Stefan_3 that is a lot of calories to maintain on. No wonder you find eating is getting old.

Lol, I know right. Men eat soooo much! I find it hard trying eat 3,000 calories a day. Before, my weight gain journey I would eat one meal a day and wouldn't think any thing wrong about it. Atleast I drunk water
  • gainme123
    Options
    3_Stefan_3 wrote: »
    Bulking at 4000-4200...maintain around 3700-3900

Eating gets old

I knooooow! Tell me about it
  • gainme123
    Options
    tibo2u4d67ib.jpeg

Here's a before picture everyone! Happy gaining
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    If your body is not naturally an hour glass shape, there is no diet that will change that. Lifting could target certain areas to build.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I try to hit 3500 calories, but since food is so awesome I regularly reach 4000-4500 instead.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    If your body is not naturally an hour glass shape, there is no diet that will change that. Lifting could target certain areas to build.

This is pretty much what i am going for. Hour glass is a genetic issue and cant be changed.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    DYEL? If you don't, it won't be an hourglass you get...
  • gainme123
    Options

My body has the hour glass shape but it isn't defined. I'm actually nervous about lifting or exercising until I get my desired weight. Any advice on whether I should wait or not?
  • gainme123
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    I try to hit 3500 calories, but since food is so awesome I regularly reach 4000-4500 instead.

Woo-hoo! My mind tells me food is awesome all the time, but after I've eaten a certain amount my stomach disaggrees.
  • gainme123
    Options

What?
  • gainme123
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    I am currently bulking at 3100 calories, but I am not yet 100% sure yet to stick with that number, it may be increased if I don't gain at the rate that I want.

I agree!! What's your weight goal, and what's the hurry if you don't mind me asking?

• gainme123
    Options

Ok.... DYEL means Do you even lift? No, I do not lift, whatsoever. I'm not sure if I should start now or after I gain my desired weight, because I don't want to lose any lbs that I've gained. I'm not even sure if I can lose weight by lifting lol. So, educate me a little on lifting, because I've NEVER exercise a day in my life, besides gym class in high school.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    gainme123 wrote: »

Ok.... DYEL means Do you even lift? No, I do not lift, whatsoever. I'm not sure if I should start now or after I gain my desired weight, because I don't want to lose any lbs that I've gained. I'm not even sure if I can lose weight by lifting lol. So, educate me a little on lifting, because I've NEVER exercise a day in my life, besides gym class in high school.

If you choose a progressive lifting program and follow it, then eat at a surplus, you will gain weight. Part of this weight will be muscular (which will make your body look awesome) and part of it will be fat, depending on how much of a surplus you've got going for you. Lifting doesn't burn a huge amount of calories, so you're unlikely to kill your surplus just by lifting weights.

If you're aiming to gain and just eat at a surplus without lifting, you may end up a good bit squishier and less defined than you're hoping. Hope this helps! :)
  • psuLemon
    Options
    gainme123 wrote: »

The sooner you lift, generally the better the results will be, as additional muscle will help provide you the more lean look and it will reduce the amount of fat gained. Since you seem to like hour-glass, a good program like StrongCurves can help improve the muscles in your lower body which can help give you a more firm and more well rounded bum. Also, if you are going to gain, you should utilize this opportunity to get the most out of it. Because if you hit your weight, and do not like the results, then you will have to either cut or maintain weight and lift, while hoping to see results. Essentially, starting now will put you ahead of the game.

Also, I would recommend limiting the size of your surplus and aim for .5 to 1 lb per week. When combined with a good lifting program, it will give your body an opportunity to limit the amount of fat you gain.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • gainme123
    Options
    Hey, you guys just found out I'm a pear shape :( not an hour glass!