Achielles pain-runner

Options
After years away from running game, I started running again. Started slowly about 100 days ago with walking. I'm running 3 miles at least 4 days a week and 5 miles twice a week now but with Achilles pain.

I stretch, start with a walk before running and ice after run. I alternate three pair of running shoes. I'm planning to run marathon third week of September.

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    I dealt with an achilles issue for about 10 weeks over the summer. It was never bad enough to stop me from running, but it wouldn't heal completely either. I finally got it under control when I added a brace to sleep in (it keep the tendon stretched at night) to my foam roller and exercise plan. It might be worth a try if you haven't already.

Now, you want to run a marathon in 2 weeks and the most you are running is 5 miles at a time? Good luck. The parts of your body that are not injured now stand a good chance of being injured by the time you are done....
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's crazy. Most people follow an actual marathon training plan that includes long runs much longer than 5 miles. It's a huge leap from 5 miles to marathon
  • RNinPitts
    RNinPitts Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Sorry...it's a 10k run during the marathon.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Ok that makes more sense lol
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    RNinPitts wrote: »
    Sorry...it's a 10k run during the marathon.

That's better. I was really concerned there for a minute. :)
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Have you been fitted for running shoes, and are the ones you are running in new or old?

Have you tried using a slant board for 20 - 30 minutes at a time twice a day?
  • RNinPitts
    RNinPitts Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried the roller or slant board. I'll start there. I've been hesitant to increase distance and intensity. I don't want to be side lined for any length of time. I am enjoying my runs. It's like finding a lost friend.

Thanks for the help!
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Are you running in flat (minimal or low-drop) shoes? A little bit of heel can do wonders when the Achilles is inflamed. The brace (or Strasburg sock (probably misspelled )) can be helpful, too.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    A doctor is the proper person to consult for injury advice... but if was me...
    - stretch calves hourly for 30+ seconds
    - foam roller the calves (not the tendon) 4x a day
    - night splint or Strassburg sock at night
    - higher heel-drop shoes when running
    - barefoot or zero heel shoes when sitting & walking
    - no ice unless in pain (reduces circulation)
    - avoid uphill runs (strains the Achilles the most).
    - never run when it hurts :+1: