Chips

Options
Any healthy chips y'all recommend? Preferably not made with corn or main ingredient potatoes.

Replies

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I've had celliriac chips at Mediterranean restaurants and it was great but haven't made it at home.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I have seen chips (both as in the hot and "cold/crisps" variety) made from things like sweet potatoes, zucchini, parsnip etc.

Depending on what you mean by "healthy", they may do the trick, but I have found that the calorie content between them generally doesn't change much - apart from maybe the hot zucchini chips, but these usually come with a thick batter to make up for the fact it's just zucchini.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    CarolF11 wrote: »
    Any healthy chips y'all recommend? Preferably not made with corn or main ingredient potatoes.

You can make any kind you like at home. Have you tried carrot chips, zucchini chips, beet chips, eggplant chips, pretty much anything you can slice can be made into chips. I highly suggest making sweet potato chips even if you don't care for regular potatoes. As they are very healthy for the body!

Oh and don't forget fruit chips.. apple chips and pretty much anything else, if you have a dehydrator you have even more variety.

All you need is a cookie sheet covered in foil or parchment paper & a Misto (which will rock your world if you've not tried one before!!) Oh, aaaaahhh yea and an Oven, you'll need one of those too! :p

Misto Olive Oil Spray Product Review
    https://youtu.be/_bU4Le5eRFE
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Some good ideas here... but I would ask why do you need to eat a different kind of chip?
    You can stick with the ones you like and just eat them less often and eat a more reasonable portion size.

I assume you mean cold hard (crisps) chips, not hot chips (fries)...in which case I'd ask when are you eating them? And is there an option that you will enjoy?
    - If its with a dip, why not serve out a few chips, a few crackers (lots of different options here) and lots of nice crisp veggies which are great for dipping.
    - If it's as a snack - why not think about what other snacks you enjoy and have them more often and chips less often.

I can't think of any other reason to eat chips, but then they are a pretty occasional food for me.
  • CarolF11
    CarolF11 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    I've had celliriac chips at Mediterranean restaurants and it was great but haven't made it at home.

I have no idea what celliriac chips are but I'm going to look into it! Thanks☺
  • CarolF11
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Is there a reason you don't can't eat corn or potatoes chips?

Healthy chips are within the perception. Just pick any chips you like and eat them in moderation. ;)

I guess its cause I'm looking for chips low in carbs.
    Thank you☺
  • adamyovanovich
    adamyovanovich Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I like harvest snaps snap pea crisps, they come in a few flavors

http://www.harvestsnaps.com/

I get them at Winco, other stores have htem too. 120 cal per serving, 3 servings in a bag.
  • CarolF11
    Options
    pebble4321 wrote: »
    Some good ideas here... but I would ask why do you need to eat a different kind of chip?
    You can stick with the ones you like and just eat them less often and eat a more reasonable portion size.

I assume you mean cold hard (crisps) chips, not hot chips (fries)...in which case I'd ask when are you eating them? And is there an option that you will enjoy?
    - If its with a dip, why not serve out a few chips, a few crackers (lots of different options here) and lots of nice crisp veggies which are great for dipping.
    - If it's as a snack - why not think about what other snacks you enjoy and have them more often and chips less often.

I can't think of any other reason to eat chips, but then they are a pretty occasional food for me.

I'm looking for chips low in sodium and carbs. I don't eat chips often but when I do I prefer something healthy.
    Thanks for the advice☺
  • Hearts_2015
    edited September 2016
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Is there a reason you don't can't eat corn or potatoes chips?

Healthy chips are within the perception. Just pick any chips you like and eat them in moderation. ;)

I guess its cause I'm looking for chips low in carbs.
    Thank you☺
    @CarolF11
    Are you looking to keep it simple and pick them up pre-packaged or do you feel like experimenting to make some at home?

I've seen lots of new ones out, have wanted to Google customer reviews but haven't done that yet. Might be a good way to start so you see how others feel about the taste.. ;) Not sure you got too many responses on here that you were looking for? Other than moderation suggestions?

I know I'm not able to do chips in moderation yet (or never? if so I'm OK with that) so if they are in my house it's because I'm in a binge cycle.

EDIT Love these! snap pea crisps They are actually made of peas which aren't really low carb and they definitely are salted. Love em' but can't moderate these either (well sometimes I can).. too much like regular chips/crunchy salty things. :#

Somethings I can moderate other things I"m not taking a chance on, it's just not worth it to me, to many other foods I can try out.
  • teetertatertango
    teetertatertango Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Kale chips are pretty good if cooked properly (I've hit perfection once, it's easy to under or over cook them.)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Carbs aren't unhealthy
    pebble4321 wrote: »

I'm looking for chips low in sodium and carbs. I don't eat chips often but when I do I prefer something healthy.
    Thanks for the advice☺
  • CarolF11
    Options

You can make any kind you like at home. Have you tried carrot chips, zucchini chips, beet chips, eggplant chips, pretty much anything you can slice can be made into chips. I highly suggest making sweet potato chips even if you don't care for regular potatoes. As they are very healthy for the body!

Oh and don't forget fruit chips.. apple chips and pretty much anything else, if you have a dehydrator you have even more variety.

All you need is a cookie sheet covered in foil or parchment paper & a Misto (which will rock your world if you've not tried one before!!) Oh, aaaaahhh yea and an Oven, you'll need one of those too! :p

Thanks so much!!☺☺ I've only made kale chips and I remember loving those. I'll try other veggies!!!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

Thanks so much!!☺☺ I've only made kale chips and I remember loving those. I'll try other veggies!!!

I thought you wanted low carb?
  • CarolF11
    Options

Aren't veggies low in carb?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If you look at the labels of typical alternatives to potato and corn chips...well...you'll find that there's really not much difference if any difference at all...so I'd just eat whatever chips you actually like. I love how "veggie chips" and sweet potato chips are marketed to be "health food"...when you look at the actual nutrition, it's all about the same...
  • Hearts_2015
    Options

Aren't veggies low in carb?

Most are, some are higher, some aren't, you can look up their Glycemic Index (GI) and you'll see exactly what is low and high carb. It just depends on how sugar dense the carb food is. Carbs aren't bad for us, eating to many can't be unhealthy for some ppl. If you go over your macros or if you'd tracking because you're diabetic and it messes with your blood sugars.

Any of the veggie/fruit chips I mentioned way up above that I mentioned can be purchased in stores as well as made at home. Just do some home work, either by Googling or looking at the bag labels. :smiley:
  • CarolF11
    Options
    ryry_ wrote: »
    Oreos are crunchy and they don't have potatos or corn.

Hahaha, you're right!! I just don't like them☺
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    ryry_ wrote: »
    Oreos are crunchy and they don't have potatos or corn.

Very good point! Not salt covered like chips either! :laugh: