Meat substitutes (quorn, Linda McCartney)

Options
2»

Replies

• deadliftsandnoodles
    Options
    Linda McCartney is PEOPLE!

sorry, couldn't help myself.

Every time I tried quorn products they were way too salty for me.

I found i was always thirsty after eating it, maybe it was salty af
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    They are food not fake food. They are good in a pinch or whatever but I'd rather eat them than a dead animal. I like tofu or tempeh over meat substitutes though in general. I do eat them occasionally though or make my own veggie burgers so I know exactly what's in them.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I love Quorn but I also love mushrooms.

I try not to eat alot of meat substitutes but I like them every now and again (I eat mostly plant based). Also seitan is awesome. It's also very easy to make now as the main ingredient (which is hard to make) can be bought easily in most stores.
  • mlee981
    mlee981 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan myself , and I have some of Linda mccartney's foods sometimes, but they are very processed. Plus since finding out about the cruelty in palm oil, I'm trying to cut right back on my foods with palm oil.

I'd personally rather have whole foods like beans and lentils , but these foods are good especially for those transitioning over or just starting a vegan /vegetarian lifestyle.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I don't care about them being processed, what I don't like is the texture. I gave up real meat because of the texture and taste, why would I like soy meat any more? yuck.

Exactly why I don't eat them either. I became "vegetarian" around 10 years old, simply because my parents got tired of trying to force me to eat meat, which I just couldn't bear the texture of. Meat substitutes that I've tried have too "meaty" a texture. I prefer to make my own veggie burgers and will have Seitan on occasion, but even that sometimes is too meat-like for me. I really thing these things boil down to preference and lifestyle. I don't give a rats turd about the processing - as an Oreo addict that would be very hypocritical of me...but if you like them, and they work into you daily calorie/macros goals, then go for it. If you don't like them...don't worry about it. You don't need to eat them.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Some meat substitutes are just plain gross, but Quorn nuggets and Quorn Scotch Eggs are amazing. I'd take them over the meat versions any day.
  • babychris1
    babychris1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Go vegan for victory !!
  • rugbyishy
    rugbyishy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Im not veggie but we do have Quorn/Linda Mccartney. Mostly because its cheaper than meat. Quorn has egg in it (it says free range if people are conscious with that sort of thing) and is made from mushrooms so I prefer that to soya based equivalents. However do like Mccartney sausages.
    They are handy if you not in mood for cooking or what something quick.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    rugbyishy wrote: »
    Im not veggie but we do have Quorn/Linda Mccartney. Mostly because its cheaper than meat. Quorn has egg in it (it says free range if people are conscious with that sort of thing) and is made from mushrooms so I prefer that to soya based equivalents. However do like Mccartney sausages.
    They are handy if you not in mood for cooking or what something quick.

It's fungal-based, but it isn't made from mushrooms.

http://www.mycoprotein.org/what_is_mycoprotein/index.html
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    How does Linda McCartney taste and is she clean?
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options

Well she passed away some time ago so she probably wouldn't taste very nice :-|
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options

So I guess that's wet aged?
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options

I can't. I can't make this joke with you. So funny but so wrong.
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options

I can't. I can't make this joke with you. So funny but so wrong.

It's ok. Wet or dry, I'm just aged.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Linda McCartney is PEOPLE!

sorry, couldn't help myself.

Every time I tried quorn products they were way too salty for me.
    Hey, get outta my brain. Nothing like a little soylent green to up your protein.

I haven't tried either, though.