Strength training at home

Options
2»

Replies

• RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    do some research on "recomposition" basically switching body mass from high fat low muscle mass to high muscle mass low body fat. it is more time consuming and positive results take longer to achieve. The Bonus here is that food is only an issue insofar as you fuel the "machine' properly and pay attention to your macros. IE eat as much as you want so long as you spend time in the gym converting those ingested calories into muscle mass... So.. strength training at home can be done with your own body weight, there are dozens of different versions of sit ups, push ups, pull ups, squats, lunges, that will only require gravity to build strength... the BIGGER question is train for muscle strength or muscle endurance? IE would you like to be able to do 100 pull ups with just your body weight... or would you rather do 1/2 dozen pull ups with a 50 lb weight strapped to you? run a marathon? or run a Spartan sprint?... BEST advice... start with body weight exercises... try circuit training ala Tabata... and if that gets you gains and you find yourself looking for bigger challenges...THEN see about investing in a Full Rack with an Olympic bar, plates and bench... OR get a gym membership,, but not to planet fitness because I hear that's JUST wrong :)
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Choose a beginners strength training program that appeals to you and follow it. I'd disagree with the statement that you can't make significant gains without equipment, or that it can't be done at home. There's lots of bodyweight programs that are great (personally, I like Convict Conditioning). Bodyweight is totally doable; I've just found that weights makes progressing much easier. I started with a set of adjustable dumbbells off craigslist. This way, you can just buy more 1" plates(cheap and easy to find used) when you need more resistance. I've heard good things about TRX/suspension trainers as well, but never tried it myself.
  • ktfranke
    ktfranke Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I've had 3 kids, and I've lost all the weight, but for a long time I still looked "skinny fat." What I was looking for was a tight, toned, strong looking body. And plugging away at the cardio machines doesn't get you there. I started strength training with manageable sized weights - which for me are Dumbbells between 7.5-20lbs! Cardio is good in moderation - high intensity is even better! Eventually, I'd like to join a gym and start lifting heavier, because I know I'll see more gains that way! But for now, I'm loving my body and the changes that are happening so far! You can totally do it from home with just a few simple weights!
  • adamblake007
    adamblake007 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    How does one do this? Do I need to invest in a bunch of weights?
    I need to build muscle while losing weight!
    ( Female 5ft3 currently 145 lbs)
    Ive always been a cardio bunny in the past.

You can do A LOT with a TRX and a kettlebell...

Combine those two pieces of equipment with some smart body weight training and you will look, feel and act like a badass!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    How does one do this? Do I need to invest in a bunch of weights?
    I need to build muscle while losing weight!
    ( Female 5ft3 currently 145 lbs)
    Ive always been a cardio bunny in the past.

You can do A LOT with a TRX and a kettlebell...

Combine those two pieces of equipment with some smart body weight training and you will look, feel and act like a badass!

Love TRX. I think TRX is more fun that bodyweight and you can progress the difficulty as you go without buying more equipment. It is a good idea to get some training on it before attempting on your own.
    Kettlebells present the same issue as dumbells, you need lots of sizes to do a full range of exercises, but I like doing it at the gym. I did find a 25# at Goodwill that works well for quite a few exercises.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    All you really need is something that will provide resistance to your muscles, be it body weight, resistance bands, dumbbells or barbells. Resistance bands are good for starting out [helps to teach the proper forms when performing exercises].
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    You may like barbell training. You can make fast strength gains on SL5x5 then progress to other programs. If this interests you, you will need a cage, a bench and an Olympic bar and weight set. If you don't have room for a cage, you can get a Landmine sleeve and train in a smaller place.

If you like circuit training, you may like "Strong Curves". This program has more variety and illustrations of various exercises like rotation, unilateral, band, dumbell, kettlebell, barbell and bodyweight work.

Your calorie deficit is going to help you lose the fat. And the weight training can help with your physique.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Here is a post that lists established lifting programs: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Take a look at the programs (BodyWeight Routines, Dumbbell Routines, Beginner Lifting Programs) to get an idea of the kind of equipment you will need.