Fixing a Posterior Pelvic Tilt

I have just finished a 4 month PT session and it was extremely helpful. I am still fixing a posterior pelvic tilt. What are ways to correct it?

I have corrected it a lot by:

- strengthening back with weights (especially lower back muscles - low row, one arm pulls, etc.)
- strengthening glutes (mainly with barbell hip thrusts, deadlifts, etc.)
- strengthening hams
- hamstring stretches, quad stretches

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    I would follow your PT's advice.
    With posterior pelvic tilt, the hamstrings, glutes & abs are overly tight, and the primary fix for that is frequent stretching. Strengthening them will make them tighter, so it's not a fix. :+1:
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i just focus on my posture.
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    edited September 2016
    I'm now using a roller on abs, glutes and hip flexors. Also stretching hams and abs.

It fixes the PPT quite well for about 2 hours afterwards since my PPT is not that bad to begin with.

Strengthening the glutes and hams will def help the PPT so long as rolling and stretching is performed. PPT causes weak lower back muscles and strong glutes and hams help support the lower back.

Sitting on bum bones with straight back is also very important since I sit 8 hours a day at a computer.

I wish I knew all this 20 years ago!!!
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Check out the Athlean X channel on YouTube. Jeff Cavaliere is a former Mets strength trainer and a physical therapist. He makes a living training MMA guys primarily and has developed a ton of programs.

Anyway, there's a recently released video that talks about anterior and posterior hip tilts with some tips to reduce them. Good luck!
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    That sounds more like a anterior pelvic tilt? Otherwise you'd probably be stretching your posterior side and strengthening your anterior if if was a posterior tilt. If I'm not mistaken.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    jessef593 wrote: »
    That sounds more like a anterior pelvic tilt? Otherwise you'd probably be stretching your posterior side and strengthening your anterior if if was a posterior tilt. If I'm not mistaken.

Good catch. Judging by the OP's photo I would go with an anterior pelvic tilt as well. You can tell by the drop in the waistline of her pants from back to front. A posterior tilt would typically cause a waistline that was horizontal, or in extreme cases, a rise from back to front.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Your PT should have given you things to continue doing. Correct shoes, movement patterns, and attention to posture at all times will help prevent you from going backwards. Standing desk at work perhaps? Etc.

I personally work with a Chrio to fix this and many other issues that have developed after years of crappy posture and poor movement patterns. He has given me many things to work on outside of the office and for me to continue doing after I am "fixed".