IIFYM

Options
Anyone else following IIFYM? How soon before you started to lose weight?

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Me! Well, sort of. I look at fat and protein as minimums and then fill the rest up with whatever tickles my fancy.

I started losing 1 pound per week on average pretty much immediately, though it wasn't linear. I think I lost more my first week, a little less the next week, and so forth.
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I do IIFYM. I have lost 25lbs of fat and put on some muscle. I love it. Wouldn't do it any other way.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I follow IIFYM, I'm down 44 lbs, 16 more to go
  • pontious11349
    pontious11349 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    IIFYM works!!! Truly it does.

You just need to figure out your maintenance allowance in calories (Bodyweight in lbs x 14) then make a deficit amount as your target and choose your ratios - I use 40%carb, 35% protein and 25% fat.

I have been doing it for 10 weeks and lost 14lbs - BUT - my body fat has reduced significantly - isn't it all about looking better naked?? - who cares about weight

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I either lose or gain weight immediately on average as long as my food is weighed properly and my true TDEE is locked in correctly.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    lshona wrote: »
    Anyone else following IIFYM? How soon before you started to lose weight?

If everything is accurate you should be losing pretty much immediately just like you would with anything else.

Keep in mind that IIFYM is just a concept...it's not a diet...people use IIFYM to lose, maintain, and gain...it's just a concept that doesn't put foods into categories of good and bad...it just looks at your calories and macro ratio overall.

If you're not losing then something is off with either your allowance or the accuracy of what you're logging.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Another for iifym! Been doing it for 1.5 years and wouldn't have it any other way. Took about 6 months to lose 25 pounds, but I try not to focus on the scale number and more how my clothes feel. I went from a tight size 12 to comfortable 6. Currently bulking to gain some more muscle mass.
  • kfrye0811
    kfrye0811 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    IIFYM is *kitten*
  • kfrye0811
    kfrye0811 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If your not getting healthy foods but hitting your macros with junk you won't see the change you want
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    kfrye0811 wrote: »
    If your not getting healthy foods but hitting your macros with junk you won't see the change you want

No one said anything about eating "junk".
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Who said anything about only eating junk?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

IIFYM is a philosophy of food choice that says first and foremost we should choose foods that help us hit our macro and micronutrient needs (based on their custom needs and not what a calculator spits out) and if there's room leftover then a treat or two is fine. If you look at the diaries of people who follow IIFYM you'll find that most of them are eating plenty of whole foods, lean protein, veggies, etc in order to accomplish this. They're also, for the most part, seeing the changes they want.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    As long as you hit your macros you will see change, but if all you eat is junk then yes you probably won't hit your macros and therefore no change. I believe in the 80/20 rule. Can't be perfect all the time, but I can be 80% of the time.
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I've done it for years..I LOVE it!! helps me maintain and it's actually sustainable. Although, I'm on contest prep right now but it's about 80/20..(the 20 is IIFYM..just so that I don't go insane on contest prep).

Once you get the hang of it, you will be successful. The magic happens when you learn your true macros. MFP jacks mine up but I know I can take more protein that it "says"..so I track that in my head or I change around the values (ie 40,40, 20).

Feel free to add me and we can be IIFYM friends. ;) lol

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options

I would have a real hard time hitting my macros with junk. Also, everyone else in this thread is a counterexample to your assertion. I suspect you're just stirring the pot. Careful now, the sun rises soon!
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I'm IIFYM. Weight loss took a few weeks but it was a matter of dialing in my energy needs. That said, as others have noted... weight loss seems to be steady and less reflective on the scale as it is in the way I look and clothes fit.

If you're serious about following macros and reverse dieting when you hit your goals in addition to tracking progress, Avatar Nutrition is 10 bucks a month and takes all the guess work out. It's a resource well worth it.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I follow the IIFYM concept, and so far I've lost 30 pounds sticking to it. In the end foods aren't good or bad, just macro light/dense.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

a) You don't understand IIFYM.

b) You're wrong.

c) As proof of b), see the first post in this thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10348650/cico-still-skeptical-come-inside-for-a-meticulous-log-that-proves-it/p1

As to the OP, I follow the IIFYM concept and have lost 52 pounds. And I've seen the exact changes I wanted to see - in my weight, in my body composition and in my overall health/fitness.