How to be paitent with weight loss?

Options
Do any of you ever get worried you won't lose the weight? For me, I'm almost at my goal, but I'm so afraid I'll get there and still have chub in places I don't want it.

I found a good number of calories to eat and days to workout and I've been losing a pound a week. I'm just so worried I won't see any results.

I've only lost two pounds and I see no difference. Logically, I know it'll take more than 2lbs before I see a huge difference...but I'm still worrying anyways.

How do you become paitent with your weight loss journey?

Replies

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    It took me years to put on the weight. Why would it come off quickly? That's what got me through and I'm not even close to a patient person lol.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Do any of you ever get worried you won't lose the weight? For me, I'm almost at my goal, but I'm so afraid I'll get there and still have chub in places I don't want it.

I found a good number of calories to eat and days to workout and I've been losing a pound a week. I'm just so worried I won't see any results.

I've only lost two pounds and I see no difference. Logically, I know it'll take more than 2lbs before I see a huge difference...but I'm still worrying anyways.

Focus on how you feel. How you gain strength. That makes it easier. Even focusing on the fact that you're now making healthier choices than before is a sign of improvement and is something to be proud of. Everyone has their days where they lose patience, it's part of being human.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I think what helped me the most was realizing that I couldn't visualize weight loss as something with an end goal. Watching calories and exercising regularly is now a part of my life and I'm not going to stop. That took a lot of pressure off.

Honestly? If you don't plan to lose much, unless you're weight lifting, you probably will find that you're aren't completely happy with losing a few pounds. I'm a little less than 5'4" and even on me 5 or 10 pounds isn't that noticeable. It wasn't until I started lifting weights that I started getting the results I wanted. Lifting makes you tighter at the same weight.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Stop worrying. Worry = stress. Stress is not good to be carrying around when trying to lose weight..

Patience is all you need. And honestly you need to give this 3 - 4 weeks before you start being concerned that the process is not working. Which if you are following a calorie deficit everyday its working.

If you still have chub when you get to goal, consider body composition changes as in lifting weights.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I'm sure everyone worries from time to time. Even when you know you are dong things right and you don't drop like you might expect just stick to it. There is no linear path to weigh loss. The body will bounce, water weight changes, menstrual cycles affect things.. If you weigh and track all your food and you know what your calorie burn is you will lose weight, just stick with it.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    It comes down to being confident, knowing, with certainty, the process you are doing. You are worried because you feel it's a crapshoot for you.

I got the same worry at the start, but this time around I did a proof of concept and after that I felt settled and never looked back. For me now, it's like if I do A, I get B. No two ways about it. Wt control is as sure as sunset and sunrise :)
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,304 Member
    Options
    Look around at everyone at the gym. I do that. I see people with 100 or more pounds to lose.. old people.. young people. Super fit older guys.. young fit guys and gals. it gives me perspective that we are all just on a journey to be our best. When you focus on the spectrum and it seems silly to think worrying and fretting would make anything happen faster or better than just showing up and doing your best to make fitness routine and enjoyable.
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I make mini goals for myself and some that have nothing to do with weight loss to remain patient. The overall goal is my goal weight but smaller goals help me stay focused and on track
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I set up weekly goals. I suggest non-weight goals like achieving a new weight or increased reps on a weight lifting routine. Task goals are fully under your control.
  • x3livox
    x3livox Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I used to worry like that a lot at the beginning of my journey, but I just reminded myself to stick with it and do everything right and the weight would take care of itself. And it has so far. In fact I thought it would feel like forever, but so far eating better and excercising have not felt like such a chore.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I like to have mini-goals within my overall goal. e.g. I am going to be super happy when I can wear my wedding ring again - but that should hopefully be many pounds before I reach my goal weight.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I don't get worried I won't loose, cause you can't really screw up a law of physics. I'm gonna lose as long as I eat fewer calories than I burn, that's spoken for. Done deal. I do worry I'm gonna get lazy about it and screw myself by not logging accurately or moving enough. I worry that it'll be so much easier to not put in the effort so I won't stick to it. On the upside I don't handle failure well at all, so crippling anxiety generally keeps the aforementioned from happening.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    If you are worried about how you will look at a certain weight, why not change your goal to how you look in the mirror. Everyone is fatter and has less muscle than they think!
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    If you are worried about how you will look at a certain weight, why not change your goal to how you look in the mirror. Everyone is fatter and has less muscle than they think!

This is good advice. Also, just go with how your body looks to you, but be careful and don't lose too much and become underweight. Our minds can make us look fat, even if we aren't. Ask a close friend what they think you look like, they will probably be able to tell you better than you can by looking in the mirror.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options

i got more interested in the weight i was lifting than the weight i was losing :p
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I'm bookmarking this one. Lack of patience is one of my flaws and when I hit the three or four months marker into a diet I've tended to waver in the past. But lots of food for thought here. Thank you all.