I am on day 3...discovered I need to write food down at time I eat it or can forget and overeat.

Options
I think I will remember what I ate and write into myfitnesspal food journal, and then can't remember the snacks I was going to count. Oh well, it is day three and I'm doing fine, but must make it a rule to write food eaten down immediately!!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Yep, that will trip you up!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I use a little notebook to make sure foods get from the kitchen onto my computer :)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I keep a pad of paper and a pen next to my food scale in the kitchen. It's just second nature now for me to write stuff down as I weigh or measure it.

Then a couple of times a day, I enter it into my diary. If I'm out, I just enter stuff directly from my phone before I forget.

All in, if it takes me more that 5 minutes a day to accurately log, I'd be very surprised.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Definitely. Ur busy mind will space on these snacks otherwise. Husband will say he only had a banana n coffee n i will say well how about the sandwiches, the 2 bowls of cereal i saw u eat? Oops lol
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I pre log my whole day, snacks and all first thing in the morning. A couple minutes and I'm done and dusted :smiley: Another benefit of this is that i can tweak things around if they don't fit.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I pre log my whole day, snacks and all first thing in the morning. A couple minutes and I'm done and dusted :smiley: Another benefit of this is that i can tweak things around if they don't fit.
    I do the same:)

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,193 Member
    Options
    I take a moment at lunchtime to enter my morning snacks, my lunch, and my afternoon and evening snacks.

Then all I've got to do is to add dinner and make any slight changes ... like if I decided not to have this, and went with that instead for an evening snack.
  • maidengirl_
    maidengirl_ Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Log it before you eat it and you'll know the calories. Sometimes logging it before you eat it will help you to make better choices once you see how many calories you have left over.
  • CompanionNerd
    CompanionNerd Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I keep a little magnetic white board on my fridge for this purpose. Sometimes I get busy right after I am done weighting things on my food scale, or I know I will forget what they weighed by the time I am done eating to weigh the container. I jot the weight or food or calories down on the whiteboard to log when I get a minute. I find the longer you log the more it becomes a habit and you are less likely to forget. Plus logging makes you more mindful of your eating so you are less likely to mindlessly eat stuff and then forget it all together.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    MFP has great smart phone apps as well if you have one.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I log when I eat, but I can easily estimate accurately what something will be, and only eat 3 meals most of the time -- if I wanted to fit in a bunch of snacks and wasn't yet in the habit of counting I'd definitely try pre-logging them. When I started I logged when I ate and adjusted when necessary (my being off tended to be ending up with too few calories than too many, as I tend to go overboard and I knew what foods are higher in cals and what are lower).
  • sara_b0702
    sara_b0702 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I pre-pack my breakfast and lunch the night before so I know what I'm working with :) and then when I get to work in the morning, I log my breakfast, lunch, and afternoon snack right away so that I can see where I'll be for dinner when I get home and then I can play around with dinner a bit more. I found through experience that logging my whole day in advance made me feel too restricted; just doing my "daytime" meals makes me happier because I know where I'm at in terms of macros/calories and then I can pick whatever I want for dinner as long as it fits!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I pre log and carry my phone always when not at home. Its not a chore or a big deal once you do for a short period of time.. Consider it just a task you do like everything else you do to carry out your day to day!
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I exclusively use the app for iOS, which means I can log things as soon as I eat them if they weren't already pre logged. I recommend it greatly if you have trouble remembering to log everything at the end of the day.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    PreLogger here ... and I always have my phone so I can edit/add any time.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I pre-log, and if I am out and don't want to be rude about being on my phone right then, I take a pic with my hand by the plate for scale so I can log later.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I pre-log when I'm packing my lunchbag for the day--all of my snacks included--that way I know exactly where I stand. Then I just have to be careful of the binge-y feeling when I'm prepping dinner, but I find if I drink water or tea or chew gum during that time I am less likely to snack mindlessly.