Strength training / lifting at home?

I previously made a post about being almost underweight but still having a lot of lower tummy fat. Many people suggested strength training / lifting to help build muscle. I really want to do this however I don't have the means to join a gym right now as I'm in the process of moving and trying to save every penny I can. But I have some very light dumbbells and also a kettlebell. Any way I can get started on lifting / strength training without a gym until I have the means to join one? Thank you. (I used to have a free gym on my college campus but unfortunately I've graduated :c still was about it)

Replies

• bvplh
    bvplh Posts: 8 Member
    You can do a lot with bodyweight exercises; there are some good YouTube videos and apps (Sworkit, You Are Your Own Gym, etc.) that can guide you through routines, or just google "bodyweight workout" and you'll find tons of free resources. You may also want to check out Craigslist for cheap used weights. I recently picked up a pair of adjustable dumbbells (up to 105 lbs.) for $50. Something like that should be plenty to get you started.

Congratulations on your weight loss, and good luck with strength training!
  • a45cal
    a45cal Posts: 85 Member
    I'm sure there are some kettlebell users around here that'll be able to give you good workouts for it (sadly, I'm not one of them). But if money is tight, then the cheapest way to do strength training is bodyweight exercises. You can get a lot further with them than you'd imagine. For a good aesthetic program, I'd recommend getting a copy of Strong Curves by Bret Contreras (or picking one up at the library), but in a pinch, just the workout templates from the book will do:

https://bretcontreras.com/wp-content/uploads/Strong-Curves-Workout-Templates.pdf

Skip to the "Best Butt Bodyweight" section and do "workout A" one day, rest a day or two, then "workout B", another day or two, then "workout A" again. Rinse and repeat for the suggested number of weeks, then move up to the next set of workouts. And if there's anything you're unsure of how to perform, you can search online for technique videos.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 669 Member
    I just started lifting this past April, but for 9 months before that I was doing body weight workouts. You'd be amazed at the results you can get from them.
    I currently Melissa Bender on YouTube. She has body weight routines and also routines with Dumbbells.
    So you could probably do the body weight routines for months and still be seeing results.
    Then if you get to the point that you think you're no longer advancing (which is what happened to me) then you can buy an adjustable dumbbell set and do her dumbbell routines. She has a large library of free workouts on YouTube.
    Good luck to you!
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 669 Member
    I currently follow Melissa Bender...sorry for typos.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    How light are the weights? You'd be surprised how much strength you can gain with even the smallest weights. Also, if you have some old gallon jugs, you can fill those with water for some weights [a gallon of water weights 8 pounds].
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    xvolution wrote: »
    How light are the weights? You'd be surprised how much strength you can gain with even the smallest weights. Also, if you have some old gallon jugs, you can fill those with water for some weights [a gallon of water weights 8 pounds].

I hardly made strength progress until I started stronglifts.. I was cheating myself before. :/