Which is more accurate? Mechanical or Digital scale?

Options
I have both at my house, but my friend said to use the mechanical one cause its more accurate and that digital ones glitch alot quicker.
The mechanical one I have is where you step on it, and the little arrow moves to your weight number. I like that one cause I can actually see it move for myself to whatever number I am. Versus the digital one, it gives me several different readings within 10 minutes of first waking up.

So just asking, whats your opinion on the scales? And which one do you think is more accurate?

Thankies. :bigsmile:

Replies

• 1fitnessplanner
    1fitnessplanner Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have a digital not sure if it's more accurate or not but I weigh in on exactly the same spot in the bathroom at the same time in my underwear and seems to give a good reading
  • timmieklose
    timmieklose Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have a digital not sure if it's more accurate or not but I weigh in on exactly the same spot in the bathroom at the same time in my underwear and seems to give a good reading

I did that too. I weighed on a flat surface of the bathroom (same spot and time) yet I got different readings. I would wake up and pee, weigh myself.....then just brush my teeth and weigh again just to see, and it would give me a whole different number.
    I think too, that my dads digital scale might be fritzing, cause when you first touch it on, it says 35lbs automatically, then you have to touch it again to make it go back down to 0lbs, THEN you can step on it.
    Not really sure about that one...I have mixed feelings on it. If I can buy a brand new digital one for myself, maybe I'll just use that, but until then, I think I might stick with the mechanical one for now, since its the only one that seems to be alittle trustworthy at the moment. LOL. :happy:
  • SOCOLOCO87
    SOCOLOCO87 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I believe the mechanical one is better, I had the same issues with the digital one.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I have both at my house, but my friend said to use the mechanical one cause its more accurate and that digital ones glitch alot quicker.
    The mechanical one I have is where you step on it, and the little arrow moves to your weight number. I like that one cause I can actually see it move for myself to whatever number I am. Versus the digital one, it gives me several different readings within 10 minutes of first waking up.

So just asking, whats your opinion on the scales? And which one do you think is more accurate?

Thankies. :bigsmile:

Ironically, I have used both and found the digital one more accurate. The mechanical one, after a certain time would not always go back to "0" but be a bit hit and miss, I would often have to tap it lightly with my foot to try and get it back and then it would still stick a bit.

Never had any trouble with my digital scales I have to admit. In fact, when I swapped over to digital scales, it showed I was, actually 7lbs heavier than I had been when weighing myself on the mechanical ones! :sad:

I also use digital scales for food measuring, for the same reason as above, the mechanical ones would sometimes stick.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Brand new they're both pretty accurate. Both can get wonky after a while. Many mechanical ones can be re-calibrated from time to time when they start to get off. Digital ones sometimes just need a battery change but if that doesn't work they're spent.
  • suibhne
    suibhne Posts: 17
    Options
    As long as they're calibrating correctly, either should be fine. I've found each to be consistent as long as it zeroes properly. That said, it might be harder to notice problems developing with a digital scale. I always weigh myself 2-3x just to verify the consistency.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I use a digital scale. I had a mechanical one and it never zeroed properly after I stepped on it.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I use a digital scale. I had a mechanical one and it never zeroed properly after I stepped on it.

We probably never oiled them or something Jennie :laugh: and by "we" I mean you and I, mine used to do the same thing