Excessive gas due to protein shakes?

Options
2»

Replies

• jerb00
    jerb00 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Does your protein powder happen to have artificial sweetener, stevia, sugar alcohols or rba in it? These are all known to cause gas to varying degrees - obviously more so in people who are highly sensitive. You could choose a powder without a flavor/sweetener and flavor and sweeten it yourself.

I also agree that mixing with yogurt and berries/veg/nuts/seeds also help.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    First and foremost, I would make sure that you actually need the extra protein you are ingesting via shakes. Ingesting excess protein on a regular basis, just because one may have read that that is what should be done, is not good for your body.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I'm surprised you get bad gas with an Isolate. My only recommendation would be to take a digestive enzyme along with your shake that contains bromelain, or reduce the amount of powder you're having. If you are using milk to mix it, you could swap over to yogurt such as Activia and add a little water to thin it out.

I totally sympathise with you, I have bad problems with whey concentrate, like husband searching behind furniture for a dead animal bad.. :flushed: I still haven't owned up to that one :lol:
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    First and foremost, I would make sure that you actually need the extra protein you are ingesting via shakes. Ingesting excess protein on a regular basis, just because one may have read that that is what should be done, is not good for your body.

In order to get so much protein that it would actually be harmful for an otherwise healthy person, you'd almost have to be trying to hurt yourself. No studies have yet found an upper limit on the amount of protein that is healthy to consume.

The shakes may or may not be unnecessary but they are quite doubtfully harmful by nature of excessive protein intake.
  • fleur23xx
    fleur23xx Posts: 37 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I have a really hard time digesting whey protein powders. last time I tried, I had really intense nausea and stomach pain. I use brown rice protein, which I know you said you have trouble with also, but make sure it has no artificial sweeteners. I try to get mine as plain as possible and add fruit if I want it sweet. The one I use is Nutribiotic organic brown rice protein vanilla which has no fake sweeteners and just natural flavors. If you get the plain one, the only ingredient is brown rice protein.

Another tip that helps with digestion is to make it into a protein pudding instead of just putting it in liquid and drinking it. Drinking it can cause a lot of bloat and turning it into a snack where you actually have to chew helps with digestion. I like mixing mine with simply water and sometimes a little coconut flour to thicken, then I add some berries or nuts on top and it turns into a nice little snack.