Feeling defeated

Why is it that I want to lose weight so bad , but I also look at my self and say "you look fine the way you are" I'm 290lbs and 5.7 , everywhere I look I see people saying being plus size is beautiful, but I want to be skinny so bad

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    I wouldn't worry about what others say but what you feel is right for you. Why do you feel defeated? What do you want to get down to and what are your plans to get there?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    In your other thread you mentioned that you can't ever seem to lose any weight and today you are feeling defeated. That thread discussed a lot about what you needed to do.

It is certainly ok to aspire to have a certain body or look, but a person has to ask themselves is that realistic and is it achievable? Stop holding your self back and do all that you can do to be a better version of yourself, feel good in your own skin, and wear it proud.

If want to lose weight, if you want to be a better version of who you are, starting planning a strategy to get you there and it does take work. Once you stop dreaming, and make an action plan the sooner you can get there. :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    Why is it that I want to lose weight so bad , but I also look at my self and say "you look fine the way you are" I'm 290lbs and 5.7 , everywhere I look I see people saying being plus size is beautiful, but I want to be skinny so bad

Why do you want to lose weight? Is it strictly appearance and what others about weight? Something about your current size must make you unhappy. What about focusing on the health aspects of being overweight/obese vs. a healthy weight?

I wanted to lose weight because I was in pain a lot of the time. I couldn't walk a couple of blocks without wanting to sit down. I couldn't keep up with my family. I didn't have much energy. I got out of breath climbing stairs in my house. I wasn't sleeping well. Clothes didn't fit well. I saw a future of me stuck in a chair or a bed with increasing medical problems missing out on everything. That isn't the life I wanted. I deserve better.
    I didn't really think I looked that bad at my highest weight- which took me just over the line into obese. My motivation to lose weight had very little to do with appearance.
    Losing just 20 lbs made a big difference in how I felt and what I could do. My goal is to get to a healthy weight not be skinny. I'm about 5 lbs away from the healthy weight range now. I probably look much better.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    At 290 pounds it must be getting harder to get around. One of the greatest benefits I got from losing weight is improved mobility. I'm not any where near skinny but I sure enjoy my lighter self.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited September 2016

Been there, done that. That kind of thinking is negative and stands in the way of becoming healthier.

Fat on any of us is not healthy. Skinny is a perception.

Do you want to have the best health that you can? If so, this likely will require losing quite a bit of weight.

Weight loss is not about racing to a goal of a certain number on the scale, it is a journey that requires attention to how much you eat, choosing a plan sustainable for you, and taking it one day at a time. Sometimes you will fall, but you need to get back up again and keep moving forward. As you go along, you will begin to feel better with less weight. By the time you reach a healthy goal weight, I have no doubt that you will feel fantastic.

So, the goal here is be honest with yourself about health, to chuck the "skinny" word, and start on a health care/weight loss journey....if that's what you want.

The truth is, you have to really want it, and until you do it's just not going to happen. :)
  • soyflo84
    soyflo84 Posts: 5 Member
    I hate the term morbidly obese, people Love throwing it around reguardless of the fact that the BMI is an archaic metrics that wasnt even developed by doctors who know anatomy & physiology and have completely disregarded evolutionary body types according to environments. It's stupid and therefore irrelevant... Shaqule Oniel (butchered that spelling) was "morbidly obese" throughout his entire pro career... bottom line is: you can be healthy a genetically built bigger. Don't feel bad, your working on it. Slow and steady wins the race!
  • MissDi321
    MissDi321 Posts: 87 Member
    What are you afraid of? Are you afraid of losing weight? What's holding you back? Baby steps--one foot in front of the other. Start by making healthy choices and cutting your portions back a bit. Try moving--gentle walking.
    Your time of excuses has to be over. It's so easy to "dream" and say I want, but unless you do something about it, it stays a dream and a want. There are many here to support you. But no one can do it for you. You have to take that first step.
    Di
  • SLLRunner
    soyflo84 wrote: »
    I hate the term morbidly obese, people Love throwing it around reguardless of the fact that the BMI is an archaic metrics that wasnt even developed by doctors who know anatomy & physiology and have completely disregarded evolutionary body types according to environments. It's stupid and therefore irrelevant... Shaqule Oniel (butchered that spelling) was "morbidly obese" throughout his entire pro career... bottom line is: you can be healthy a genetically built bigger. Don't feel bad, your working on it. Slow and steady wins the race!

You can call it whatever you want. The BMI scale is merely a tool used to classify and differentiate between different body weights according to height and sex. There will always be outliers within any given parameter - regardless of what it is called. But even if you choose to ignore the definition or the label of what morbidly obese is defined as, that doesn't make that person any less at risk for serious health complications as a result of the excess weight they are carrying.

And this. So much this.

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    There is more to life than 'Being Skinny'.

A year ago, all I wanted from my life was to be skinny. I had no other aspirations - only to see that number on the scale below 120 lbs. I got there and you know what changed for me? I had bags under my eyes every single day. I lost so many friends due to cancelling events that involved food. My relationship almost ended and I almost lost my job due to skipping it for work-out's instead. Being Skinny, for me, was NOT what it's all cracked up to be. Being Skinny didn't make me happy. There is more to life than weighing less.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Sara1791 wrote: »
    soyflo84 wrote: »

BMI is a tool. It needs to be used correctly. There are outliers for whom BMI is inaccurate, but those are the exceptions, not the rule. A person with a lot of muscle and low body fat would be an exception. As far as I know OP doesn't fit that description.

Yup. Shaquil is a 7'1' muscular athlete. Definitely an outlier. For the vast majority of the rest of us, BMI is an accurate indicator.
  • SLLRunner
    LazSommer wrote: »

290 at 5'7" is morbidly obese. It's not healthy - beauty and health do not go hand and hand. "Skinny" can be unhealthy too, before someone goes there.

Oh gosh, this is so true. When I was 220 pounds, I tried to convince myself that I wasn't that overweight, even though pictures showed the opposite and people talked to me about their concerns regarding my health. I had a hard time admitting that I was obese and needed to lose weight because at that time I was struggling with the after-effects of an eating disorder. Once I got help for that, I had slow forward movement.

We can paint our situation however we like, but the truth is the truth no matter how you color it.