Started over..

Options
I'm sure I'm not the only one when starting MFP lost a decent amount of weight. I was down 20 pounds then I fell off the wagon. I've in the year gained back 25 pounds which makes me sick. When I log in everyday and see 20 pounds down I know it is incorrect and hard to look at. Has anyone else re-set your starting weight and was it as hard for you as it was for me? I know now I just have to work twice as hard to lose it and keep it off this time!

Replies

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I've recently 'come back' to MFP after gaining around 12 lbs. I'm not ashamed of myself, you know why? Because I'm a human. I'm not going to punish myself or feel ashamed for gaining some weight. I'm not a robot, I fluctuate. Life happens. It isn't realistic to sit and log every last morsel for the rest of my life (in my opinion). I've gained back some of my weight whilst in Eating Disorder recovery - with these few pounds, I found happiness again. I found what it means to have a meal with my family and not obsessively calculate what is in each piece of food. I can sit at a bar and order Pino Colada's with my boyfriend and snack on the peanuts in the bowl beside us. I can stop off at quaint little cafe's and order frothy cappucino's whilst reading my book for hours on end. Yes, I've gained my weight back - and yes, I am a little heavier than I am happy with - but.... in the grand scheme of things.... who the hell cares? We'll lose the weight. Because we know how this is done. And because in life - our weight will go up, our weight will go down. You're absolutely fine.
  • Ems500c
    Ems500c Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your opinion and your absolutely correct, it is a great point of view to have. Sometimes when looking at it as I was, I only saw my point of view and didn't think of it that way.. I hope you have a great weekend!
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Hey.... everyday, we start over even if we have had success, each day we wish to change our weight, we start over. That means we have a chance at success, every day.
  • jayjay_90
    jayjay_90 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Don't stress, it happens to the best of us. I was within 3 pounds of what is now my goal weight, and I gained back like 15lb.... now I'm working on hitting that target again. As Pixie said - life happens! You can do this :) Just gotta get back on the horse!

And yes, I also reset my weight, and it was sad to see my "progress" recede, even though I knew the truth lol.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Everything that happens to us teaches us something - its up to us as to whether we learn our lessons or ignore them. Only ignoring them is a waste of your time. Every day is a new lesson!!
  • rsnodgrass1128
    rsnodgrass1128 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I think the hardest part about being on a fitness journey is the journey itself. We have our ups and downs and one minute we're on fire and then next, we're searching for the momentum that got us to start the first time around.

I love what dasher602014 said - "that means we have a chance at success, every day."
  • BpChinoXL
    BpChinoXL Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Don't be to hard on yourself . Dasher602014 is right everyday is a reset day. We don't ever wake up and say to day I'm going to eat to feel guilty. We just eat and feel the effect of it after. One thing that has change the way we have the yucky stuff in the house is by not bringing it to the house like ice-cream. My family and I refuse to bring junk food to the house that include my kryptonite "juice". If we are going to have its outside and it stays outside. I was nearly 400 lbs and I had lost 125 lbs but gain 40 lbs. Now, I'm back on track and moving forward so far I have lost nearly 17 lbs. Don't loose hope just live the now and your goal will come.
  • MrsKila
    MrsKila Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Ems500c wrote: »
    I'm sure I'm not the only one when starting MFP lost a decent amount of weight. I was down 20 pounds then I fell off the wagon. I've in the year gained back 25 pounds which makes me sick. When I log in everyday and see 20 pounds down I know it is incorrect and hard to look at. Has anyone else re-set your starting weight and was it as hard for you as it was for me? I know now I just have to work twice as hard to lose it and keep it off this time!

Log in on a computer, not cell phone and go to your settings. It will tell you how to reset your currentweight. :) . Good luck
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Also, don't think of it as starting over - it's a continuation of your journey.
    If you were driving from LA to NYC and you got sidetracked & went down to see friends in Dallas, you wouldn't go back to LA and start your trip over, you'd get back on the highway to NYC just by another route!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    We all hang a left at Albuquerque once in a while.
  • BrokeBirkin
    BrokeBirkin Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I went off track for a few months and gained all but 5 pounds back. I didn't reset my starting weight, I just logged my current weight. That's because this isn't a do over, it's a continuation of my journey. Yeah it was a blow to see my progress go down, but I learned a lot and am in a better place than I was last time I was at this weight.
  • High_Five_
    High_Five_ Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm back after gaining 15lb, after losing 25 two years ago. I started fresh with a new account, but I just want you to know you're not alone!
  • jmormur
    jmormur Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I slacked off the last week of summer and gained back a bit. Today after I drop my daughter off at school I'm off to the gym.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Lost 40 lbs 3 years ago using MFP from 198 to 158. 158 was an unrealistic weight for me and gained back 12lbs right away.

Maintained for 2 years at 170-175, which is a better weight for me, but then got back into bad eating habits and porked back up to 196.

Lost 24 lbs in the last 3 months down to 172 w/20%BF (currently 170) and was planning to start maintaining again at 170-175 but, after looking at some old hydrostatic test results, decided to lose 5 more lbs to 165 in order to get back to 15%BF, where I had been once b4, to get rid of some remaining belly fat.

Just keep at it and never give up hope. :)
  • jdb3388
    jdb3388 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Forget everything that happened before today. Change your weight to what is currently accurate, forget about yesterday, and concentrate on doing better tomorrow.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    I think we've all done this. and it does stink. Just brush yourself off…and realize losing 25 pounds is more than doable and you can get it done, you did it before!
    This time? maybe focus more on maintaining success. I often read through that forum ..and many of them say maintaining is harder than losing. So, maybe get some strategies in place to succeed as your work toward your goal. We are all rooting for you!