Help with Dinner out

Options
I have a friend in town, first time she has been back since she moved to Florida a year ago. She and her "man" want me to go to dinner tonight with them. She picked one of the most expensive places in town (her treat) which I think is highly overrated and is no where near my favorite place to go. I really want to stick to my diet (am doing low carb, not keto) and have already decided whatever I have I am bringing half home. I am not particularly fond of fish so that part of the menu is out. I know I can do any of the steaks and bring part home, my problem is the sides. Suggestions would be welcomed. http://www.angusbarn.com/menu.html

Replies

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    That looks like a pretty standard old-school steakhouse menu to me and that's pretty easy to work with. Why not just get a steak with one the salads it comes with? Looks like you can do garden, caesar, spinach, or wedge, so pick the one you like and get the dressing on the side so you can choose how much to add if you're watching calories very closely. And I see the steaks also come with a starch, but if you don't want one, just ask them to skip it or to sub one of the vegetable sides they have listed. Even if they're sauteed in oil they'll probably be a lighter calorie hit than any of the starchy choices. Split that in half too if you're very concerned.

Steakhouses are one of the easiest types of restaurants to watch calories at IMO as it's very, very easy to just get meat and vegetables and estimate.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    That was exactly what I thought I would do, just needed someone to confirm my way of thinking it through. Thank you!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I agree that steakhouses are easy for calorie counting. As for side dishes, sometimes you can substitute a second salad for the side dish as well. I do that a lot.