BodyMedia FIT. Is it really worth it?

Options
For those of you who use BodyMedia FIT or some type of other device that logs all of your activity throughout the day, is it really worth it? I checked out the site for BodyMedia FIT, and they said there is a fee for online access. How much do you pay for the fee? Thanks.

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    It's about $6.95 a month. But if you buy the armband through Costco.com it comes with a year included (at least it used too).

I wore one for two years and don't plan on ever putting it back on. It was interesting seeing all of the data and the charts, but ultimately it didn't help me lose weight or maintain my current weight. At times it actually made it more confusing. I tried my darnedest to always keep my deficit exactly it where it should be based on what it was saying I was burning and I ended up gaining weigh while I wore it.

Also, I found it difficult because I did a lot of workouts where I wasn't engaging my arms fully, so it was really inconsistent on the calorie burn information for those workouts. So I'd end up having to take the armband off for most of them and enter information manually from my HRM.

And I wasn't crazy about the visibility. I didn't wear short sleeves on their own for the entire time I had it on. If I had a t-shirt on, I had a long-sleeve shirt under it so it would cover the armband. I hated the questions and the states from the people that did notice it. I started just saying it was a pedometer because people understood that reference and would typically drop it after that. (Even with the long sleeves, they were fitted, so if you looked closely, you could see the outline.) I've loved wearing t-shirts on their own this year, especially in the record heat we had a couple of weeks ago!

The last piece that will keep me from ever putting it back on it how it deformed my bicep area. Don't know if it was because I started my weight training after I was wearing it or the weight that I gained while wearing it, but when I finally took it off for good, I noticed that I had an indent in my arm (all the way around) from where I wore it. I thought it would go away after just having it off, but it took months of getting back to strength training to get it to go away.

Personally, I'm happy just having my HRM.
  • MoRiv1986
    MoRiv1986 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the info.