30 day shred on maintenance calories

Options
Hello all, I am currently on day 8 of the 30 day shred. My plan has been to do this workout 5 days a week and take the weekends off. I work 5 days a week as a restaurant server and sometimes spend a good portion of my shift running around.

I am 5' 3" and currently weigh about 114, I know my weight is healthy but I do have a higher body fat percentage than I am comfortable with and would like to improve my body composition.

I was trying to do this program on a deficit but this past week I've binged twice so my average calories for the week will be right around maintenance. Will that negate any progress I may have made? Should I continue trying to run a deficit or will I be able to get results eating maintenance calories with this program?

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Try using MFP as designed.

Eat at your deficit then log and eat back your exercise calories.

Start by eating back 75% of your exercise calories. If you are losing at your weekly goal keep it like that. If you are losing more or less than expected, over time, adjust accordingly.

Cheers, h.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Hello all, I am currently on day 8 of the 30 day shred. My plan has been to do this workout 5 days a week and take the weekends off. I work 5 days a week as a restaurant server and sometimes spend a good portion of my shift running around.

I am 5' 3" and currently weigh about 114, I know my weight is healthy but I do have a higher body fat percentage than I am comfortable with and would like to improve my body composition.

I was trying to do this program on a deficit but this past week I've binged twice so my average calories for the week will be right around maintenance. Will that negate any progress I may have made? Should I continue trying to run a deficit or will I be able to get results eating maintenance calories with this program?

Recomposition : http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/the-basics-of-body-recomposition-how-to-lose-fat-gain-muscle-at-the-same-time/

A calorie deficit will have you losing more weight.....as in fat+existing lean muscle mass. So instead eat closer to goal (see above).

30 Day Shred is a circuit program......cardio with some weights. It's not really the type of "weight training" referenced in the blog above. Look for something that helps you progress thru heavier weights. I like Kelley Coffey Meyer - http://www.collagevideo.com/products/kelly-coffeys-30-min-to-fitness-weights

Strong Lifts is really good if you have access to the equipment.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    ^Yep. 30DS is pretty much cardio with resistance.
    Eat at maintenance of slightly above (like, 100 cals) and see how you go.

For recomp: Stronglifts is a good place to start.