Any preggers still lifting?

Options
I am 16 weeks pregnant and am just starting to cut back a little on my workouts. I lifted heavy throughout my first trimester and kept my HIIT treadmill workouts, and I felt awesome. I am still doing everything as I get into my second trimester, but am trying to cut back on my heavy lifting and slow my HIIT intervals a bit. It has been hard the last couple weeks as I work out with my husband and I love the challenge of pushing myself to lift the same amount as him (he is only really getting back into lifting and working out after a 3 year hiatus).

Replies

• MamaMenorca
    MamaMenorca Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Oh, FYI, I have clearance from my OBGYN to continue as I am going, as long as I am feeling good and watch how and what I do.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am.... currently 30 weeks. Still lifting about 3 days a week. I do 30 mins of walking a day and 30 minutes after my lifting sessions on the treadmill high incline.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    We have a crossfitter at our gym who is still working out. Just listen to your body and your doctor.
  • edup1975
    edup1975 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Amazing!!!!!!!
  • jayned9
    jayned9 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yes, 36 weeks and I've cut back some, but not until closer to 3rd tri. I loved working out in 2nd trimester!
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I did crossfit until 5 months pregnant and had to take a month off due to health issues (unrelated to pregnancy) and then I switched over to spinning and cardio the last months of pregnancy. If I had to do it again, if I didnt have the sickness to deal with, I would of continued crossfit up until labor lol You may have to modify certain things but as long as your doctor says ok...go for it!
  • MamaMenorca
    Options
    So glad I am not the only one out there! haha. Seems like so many people feel they have to stop everything or only walk, even if they have no medical reason for it. I have had to convince my husband it is ok, we work out together, but he is slowly becoming a believer.
  • jayned9
    jayned9 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The mindset is slowly starting to change. I get tons of kudos from people in the gym, but for non-gym people lots of questions and comments about being careful. I still ride my bike to take my kids to school (less than a mile) and plenty of side eyes from that!
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I did everything during my pregnancy, HIIT running, rowing, TRX, Kettlebells, etc. As i hit certain points in pregnancy my body slowed me down, I remember distinctly from 20-24 weeks my running speed just dropped, when my belly go too big in third trimester I couldn't do a lot of the ketlebell moves and rowing. I modified as I went along. I let my body decide what it could and couldn't do. I had a healthy full term pregnancy and uncomplicated easy vaginal delivery. Back to working out 1 week pp, back to running 10 km 2 weeks pp.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I'm not pregnant but check out Micha Zamora. She's pregnant currently and still working out. Barbell Brigade actually has an interview with her recently where she's discussing her approach if you care to YouTube it.
  • MamaMenorca
    Options
    I'm not pregnant but check out Micha Zamora. She's pregnant currently and still working out. Barbell Brigade actually has an interview with her recently where she's discussing her approach if you care to YouTube it.

Thanks I will check out the interview!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    fernt21 wrote: »
    I did everything during my pregnancy, HIIT running, rowing, TRX, Kettlebells, etc. As i hit certain points in pregnancy my body slowed me down, I remember distinctly from 20-24 weeks my running speed just dropped, when my belly go too big in third trimester I couldn't do a lot of the ketlebell moves and rowing. I modified as I went along. I let my body decide what it could and couldn't do. I had a healthy full term pregnancy and uncomplicated easy vaginal delivery. Back to working out 1 week pp, back to running 10 km 2 weeks pp.

This is usually not recommended by the doctor. They usually recommend to wait 6 weeks after a birth to workout. Glad it worked out for you but someone else could injure themselves by not letting themselves heal properly.
  • evilokc
    evilokc Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Hot
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    evilokc wrote: »
    Hot

With those pickup lines and a beard like that, I'm sure you keep a bad broad, amirite?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    evilokc wrote: »
    Hot

funny-gifs-is-it-hot-in-here.gif
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I am not pregnant atm, but I lifted throughout my pregnancy (mostly after first tri because I was very ill). I did a modified 3x per week full body workout.. mostly bodyweight, bands, cables and dumbbells. I had to give up some of my main lifts because they were causing me discomfort I always listened to my body.
    Keeping active and lifting definitely helped with my labour, delivery, recovery and getting back into shape post-pregnancy.
  • MamaMenorca
    Options

This is usually not recommended by the doctor. They usually recommend to wait 6 weeks after a birth to workout. Glad it worked out for you but someone else could injure themselves by not letting themselves heal properly.

Everyone is different. I certainly hope I can be back at it quickly, but I won't know that until the time comes. The 6 week thing is a little old news from some of the information I have also read and researched. It really depends on the individual. If you are ready, there is no reason you can't. If your doctor clears you, you aren't bleeding, normally it is ok. If anything comes up while starting back, you can always stop. I don't believe in a general rule for things like this. Everyone recovers at a different rate.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options

Everyone is different. I certainly hope I can be back at it quickly, but I won't know that until the time comes. The 6 week thing is a little old news from some of the information I have also read and researched. It really depends on the individual. If you are ready, there is no reason you can't. If your doctor clears you, you aren't bleeding, normally it is ok. If anything comes up while starting back, you can always stop. I don't believe in a general rule for things like this. Everyone recovers at a different rate.

Yup everyone is different but some people push themselves too soon to try to keep up with the Joneses so to speak. Its not a race is all I am saying. It took 40 weeks to make the baby, no need to do push ups in the recovery room.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

2hbjgqxycrfa.jpg

Sorry...I couldn't resist! LOL ;)
  • MamaMenorca
    Options
    Best line "You're the mother, you care more about the baby than anyone else". Next best "You're not handicapped, listen to your body" Yes!! Being pregnant is not a handicap! I hate being treated different just because I am pregnant. I'm not saying changes don't need to be made or that there are simply things you cannot or should not be doing. But, if you are being smart, doing your research, listening to your body, there is no reason you have to give EVERYTHING up.