EXTREMELY picky eater

Options
Anyone have any suggestions for a very picky eater? I've had issues with textures, tastes and smells of food since I was a kid so I have a very small list of things I will eat. I won't eat any veggies, most fruits, nuts, peanut butter, red sauce, seafood, fish, dark meat chicken or turkey, sweet potatoes, anything spicy, most candy, brown rice and probably a ton more stuff I can't think of.

I've pretty much been living on cereal, ultra skim milk, yogurt and eggs since I started doing this because 1200 calories a day doesn't leave me much room for the foods I will eat. (Noodles, white rice, beef, gyro meat, pita). I'm just not sure what to eat otherwise because everything I like to eat is definitely off limits with 1200 calories!

Any suggestions?

Replies

• kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I have SID (sensory Integration Disorder) and have to deal with the same things, I've never tried a fruit or a vegtable, but I truley want to.

Chicken breast with cheese
    Beef jerky and babybel cheese
    Low carb tortillas
    Fiber One Bars
    Lean Pockets
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    u dont need to eat 1200 calories. use a TDEE calculator and find your TDEE-10-20% to lose weight. if you want to use the 1200 that MFP may allot you, eat back your exercise cals. 1200 is too low for most people to sustain.

i was picky (not as picky as what you mentioned) growing up- but over the years i opened up more and more- and now i eat and enjoy almost everything. i hope you are able to expand your options! tastebuds change as you get older, so give some things a try every now and then- you might end up liking foods that you once hated.
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Try to eat some vegetables. If you don't like something fixed one way, you might find it OK with some other form of preparation eg I HATE candied sweet potatoes, but roasted or as oven baked fries, they are pretty good. Pick vegetables to start that aren't strongly flavored.

Green beans can be eaten raw, canned, frozen, "french cut", etc

Peas are similar

I, personally, will only eat corn cooked on the cob - freezing or canning does nasty things to the flavor and mouth feel in my opinion, but you could try "creamed corn" - some people like that.

Try one new food each week, prepared in as many different ways as possible - no requirement to actually eat - just try - you might find some things you do like that way that would help you eat a more balanced diet
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I'm 26 and have been like this since I was 3, so I think I'm stuck for life! lol...I've added a few foods throughout the years, but most just don't work for me. :/
  • loribethrice
    Options
    I have SID (sensory Integration Disorder) and have to deal with the same things, I've never tried a fruit or a vegtable, but I truley want to.

Chicken breast with cheese
    Beef jerky and babybel cheese
    Low carb tortillas
    Fiber One Bars
    Lean Pockets

Chicken breast with cheese sounds good! I can choke that down since it's white meat. I've never tried the babybel cheese, but it looks good.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    My ex-husband hated veggies until he was almost 40. Try new things and experiment with different cooking methods. Use spices that you enjoy the flavor and scent of. Cooking different ways can change the textures.
  • MrsSenecal
    MrsSenecal Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I'm 26 and have been like this since I was 3, so I think I'm stuck for life! lol...I've added a few foods throughout the years, but most just don't work for me. :/
    Then maybe you need to seep professional help to help you with whatever the issue is with not eating certain food. You are eating a very unvaried diet and its not good for you.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    speak with a psychiatrist. I mean this respectfully as possible
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    u dont need to eat 1200 calories. use a TDEE calculator and find your TDEE-10-20% to lose weight. if you want to use the 1200 that MFP may allot you, eat back your exercise cals. 1200 is too low for most people to sustain.

i was picky (not as picky as what you mentioned) growing up- but over the years i opened up more and more- and now i eat and enjoy almost everything. i hope you are able to expand your options! tastebuds change as you get older, so give some things a try every now and then- you might end up liking foods that you once hated.

THIS!!!!! ^^^^

*sign*
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    You probably need to eat more....1200 is too low for most people. I hope you're taking a multivitamin.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions?

Therapy.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I'm very similar ... and I'm 42. It can be discouraging seeing others actually ENJOYING salads and smoothies and other "healthy" options that I just can't even imagine eating. Of course being picky does keep me from wanting some un-healthy foods that others really struggle with giving up (pizza, hamburgers, hotdogs, alcohol)...

My MFP caloric goal comes in at 1350 ... and while my options are limited, I DO like to eat. I stay VERY active and that gives me quite a few extra calories to play with. I'm usually still averaging around 2000 a day, but still (hopefully) having enough of a deficit to still lose slowly but surely. I've been with MFP since Mid-May and am down 14 pounds. I can't see how people can actually stay at 1200 calories! You can still have some of those other options you enjoy (I eat noodles, white rice and beef quite often) ... just exercise to give you some wiggle room and add them in moderation. I still eat ice cream and cookies!

I really wonder if therapy could help ... I do realize with me, that it IS so many other things other than taste (because it doesn't even get to that, I haven't even tried most things, I just KNOW I don't like them by sight, smell, texture). I don't mind anyone else eating these foods around me, I make a great lasagna (so I'm told) and other dinners I don't eat. Ironically, I majored in psychology in college, yet I can't even imagine anyone being able to get me to eat some of these things, let alone "like" them ...
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    First, I would seek professional help, if you have not already. There are therapies to help you integrate new foods into your diet.

Second, abandon this 1,200 calorie malarkey. Be satisfied with a one pound a week loss, don't feel you need to go to the full two pounds.

Third, introduce exercise, and remember that the MFP goal is net, after exercise (assuming you pick 'sedentry' as everyone seems to). So if MFP gives you a goal of 1,500 calories, and you walk or run 5km, you'll be eating more like 1,750 to 1,900, depending on your current weight.

Finally, plan a diet from the foods that you do eat, and don't label any of them as inherently bad. The last thing you need to do is to shorten that food list further. Obviously it would be better to expand your range, but there is no way the internet can provide you the therapy needed to do that. No reason that you can't lose weight in the meantime, even with the restrictive choice of food.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    speak with a psychiatrist. I mean this respectfully as possible

I agree. Again, as respectfully as possibly, this can be a symptom of OCD and a decent behavioral therapist can get you past this issue.
  • jadesdca
    jadesdca Posts: 17 Member
    Options

Oh honey. You're only set in your ways if you allow yourself to be. I've been a picky eater all my life too. We're talking like gag reflexes to veggies and fruits. Could be texture, could be taste, but it's probably more mindset and habit to be honest. I'm 31. But over the last few years, I've really expanded my food repertoire. I even made yellow squash and zuchini with dinner last night! I'm so proud of me. But I seriously didn't even try either of those foods until this year. The first time I had zuchini, it was in tempura (so, it was not healthy, but hey! You gotta start somewhere!) My "gateway" squash was spaghetti squash from the Old Spaghetti Factory (of all places) when I was 28. I love that stuff, but was soooo afraid to try it. From there, my sister convinced me to try some of her butternut squash soup, which I loved. I still can't bring myself to do broccoli or peas. I have noticed that I don't suddenly love something I have tried in the past and hated. But I am liking many of the things I am trying for the first time. :) I'm just using squash as an example. Start small and expand from there! :)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

Keep trying and adding. The problem with having sensory issues is that you are missing out on so many essential nutrients. I hope you are taking a multivitamin at least. If you find you like something and it's a fruit or vegetable, healthy fat, or protein continue to add it in your diet. I dont care if all you'll eat is ceasar salad at least you are getting some greens. Look for different ways to prepare food some people can tolerate vegetables when they are fried or when they add dressing. Sometimes it helps to look at what's missing in your diet. For example calcium then look at a list of foods high in calcium and pick out the foods you tolerate and eat them. Continue to challenge yourself. The one joy about getting older is your tastes buds change so something that was gross to you may actually be OK.

Id rather you go over the 1200 and get the essential nutrients you are lacking to feed your brain and body. It would be better to lose a half a pound a week then starve your body with so few food choices because your calories are limited.
  • loribethrice
    Options
    I have been doing exercise daily with the 1220 calorie a day goal this MFP gave me. I have just been following what they tell me to follow!

I plan on calling a food disorders clinic in my town at some point...I have Selective Eating Disorder which is considered a feeding disorder in the DSM. I've had it for as long as I can remember, so new foods are no fun for me. They just make me gag or vomit or get extremely bad stomach cramps if I can actually swallow them.

I'm going to try adding smoothies in because apparently you can cover the taste of spinach up with fruit and yogurt in them. At least that way I'll get in my fruits and veggies. I tried drinking V8 juice, but it really makes my GERD bad.
  • loribethrice
    Options
    I'm very similar ... and I'm 42. It can be discouraging seeing others actually ENJOYING salads and smoothies and other "healthy" options that I just can't even imagine eating. Of course being picky does keep me from wanting some un-healthy foods that others really struggle with giving up (pizza, hamburgers, hotdogs, alcohol)...

My MFP caloric goal comes in at 1350 ... and while my options are limited, I DO like to eat. I stay VERY active and that gives me quite a few extra calories to play with. I'm usually still averaging around 2000 a day, but still (hopefully) having enough of a deficit to still lose slowly but surely. I've been with MFP since Mid-May and am down 14 pounds. I can't see how people can actually stay at 1200 calories! You can still have some of those other options you enjoy (I eat noodles, white rice and beef quite often) ... just exercise to give you some wiggle room and add them in moderation. I still eat ice cream and cookies!

I really wonder if therapy could help ... I do realize with me, that it IS so many other things other than taste (because it doesn't even get to that, I haven't even tried most things, I just KNOW I don't like them by sight, smell, texture). I don't mind anyone else eating these foods around me, I make a great lasagna (so I'm told) and other dinners I don't eat. Ironically, I majored in psychology in college, yet I can't even imagine anyone being able to get me to eat some of these things, let alone "like" them ...

I'm good with people eating most foods around me unless they have really strong smells (like fish or asian food that smells like peanuts). MFP gave me 1220 for my daily calories and I've been staying under it all week, it's just really hard! I exercise everyday so I can earn some calories back in case I screw up. I want to lose 40lbs and I'm down 2 since last Wednesday which is encouraging. I don't drink any alcohol since I can't with my dysautonomia...it just makes it way worse. But, I do plan on having rice today because I am REALLY craving it. I agree with you on knowing I won't taste something based on how it smells or how it feels...as soon as something has a strong smell or a weird texture I'm just done. If I can get it into my mouth I usually end up gagging. I can also make dinners I don't eat, lol.
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I love how people think she needs help because she only likes certain foods. I am quite picky, and I don't need help. We are all different and have different tastes, opinions, etc. I am 34 and have tried many veggies and hate them still. I don't need help. Neither does she. Its not like she has an eating disorder. She is still eating.

I suggest trying fruit though! Its sweet, juicy, and still nutritious. Try watermelon, or strawberries. I also thinking trying 1 new thing a week is a good idea. That way you aren't overwhelming yourself with these new foods! I also think you should increase your calories and eat at a smaller deficit. That way you can eat more of the foods you like, while still losing. It may at a slower pace, but its more sustainable in the long run.
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    You didn't say how much you weigh or your heigth. Without any fruits or vegggies you should have a plumbim=ng problem, but if not then you must be getting enuf ruffage.

Basil