Run Down with Aches and Pains

I hit my goal of 150 last week (5-7"F) but realized that it's not where I need to be. That really 130-135 is more like it. I've been at this since January with mostly clean eating, cardio and weight lifting. I'm feeling a little run down, tired and have pain in my knee and shoulder. Would you press on or take a few weeks and then dive back in to a deficit? In other words, are diet breaks legitimately helpful? I don't want to take my foot off the gas, but think it might be time to regroup.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    If you feel like it's time to regroup, then a break would be legitimately helpful mentally. It makes no difference physically.
    150 is a very healthy goal, I'm 5'7" and my goal is 150-155; I'm at the upper end of that now, after 2+ years of better eating and strength training. I was at 130 when younger but it's not the right place for me now.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    If it were me, I'd take a few weeks to rest my body and mind and then get 'back on it' when I am feeling more myself :) Listen to your body and your own mind, you know best.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,322 Member
    I read a research article long ago from the universities that study weight loss.. each gave their take on the issue. One University researcher said that taking a break from dieting to maintain every six months or so was a good idea for a few reasons. That the average persons will power can only last so long. So taking a break for three months or so until you feel like losing more is a good idea. Also.. if the body has hit a set point.. it gives time to reset.
  • girlgroves
    girlgroves Posts: 235 Member
    Well done on reaching your initial goal for a start! I know what it's like to get to your goal weight only to realise that it's not actually where you want to be at after all, but that in itself can be mentally draining! If you've exhausted your supplies of energy and will power (which it sounds like you have) and especially if your body is protesting too, then pushing on, particularly through physical pain, is probably going to be counter-productive. A few weeks break could be a good chance to regroup, heal and re-evaluate. It'll be good practice maintaining anyway and you'll come back to it refreshed and ready for more! Good luck
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Pushing through your injuries is only going to make you more injured. Have you considered maybe taking a break or easing up on your workout routine so that you can heal? Maybe consider swimming or yoga so that you're still doing something, but not necessarily as high-impact? I wouldn't necessarily suggest changing your diet wildly or stopping tracking as that may lead to gaining some of the weight back, especially if you are burning less during your workouts.

(Congrats on hitting your initial goal BTW!)
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Well, at this point, you are a healthy weight for your height and I'm assuming the 130-135 goal is more "vanity", right? Then, yes, taking a break is a good idea. Regroup and figure things out...I think you need time to heal and get ready for the next step.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Time to practice maintenance for 3-6 months and then go for that last 20 pounds at a slow rate.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    edited September 2016
    I'm feeling a little run down, tired and have pain in my knee and shoulder.
    This is your body telling you something!
    Take a diet break, taper down your exercise. Rest and recover.
    Even ignoring the dieting part - most training plans have periodization for a reason.

"Pressing on" may mean turning an acute injury into a chronic injury and your workouts will already be suffering.
    (Been there, done that!).

Maybe don't "dive back into deficit" afterwards as repeating same routine may have the same outcome. It's not a race, look at the size of your deficit, your training, your recovery....
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm backing it down as suggested and will let time heal small, nagging injuries. Have reduced my deficit to .5 pound/week (MFP gives me 1430 cal) and will up that a bit over time. Stay tuned.