The C-Section Pouch

Options
Does it ever go away or am I gonna need to get a tummy tuck when I hit goal?

I really hate the way it looks and it is a nasty reminder of a traumatic moment in my life.

Replies

• GreenGoddess22
    GreenGoddess22 Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    Mine has never gone away, had it for 12 years. No Amount of weight loss and exercise has helped me. I feel your pain!
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Well crap. Better start saving for that tuck, I guess. Between the pouch and the scar, they are awful constant reminders of being lied to and conned into a surgery I didn't want and didn't need. :(
  • GreenGoddess22
    Options
    How old is your child?
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    Would it be from scar tissue? I've never noticed mine, in fact I just looked and my scar has all but faded too. I had a pretty easy recovery from my c-section, I suspect it was my reward for having lots of horrible things leading up to it. :)

But I think it's probably something that has to be dealt with surgically
  • WanderingRivers
    Options
    GreenGoddess22, she turns 9 this year.
  • WanderingRivers
    Options
    SynchKat, IDK. All I know is that the skin forms a lovely pouch that looks like crap and the scar under it from the surgery itself often bothers me.

I had really really really bad PPD after her....birth. (I hesitate to say birth. It felt more like an extraction but I guess birth would be the technical term) I would like to get rid of at least one of those reminders since they are a source of constant irritation.
  • GreenGoddess22
    Options
    Traumatic??! Had my kids via c-section and they were the 2 most beautiful moments of my life.

For some, the c/s is extremely traumatic. That's great if yours wasn't, but please don't belittle anyone who feels less than happy ( not saying you are). Kurumi, please feel free to message me if you'd like to chat; it took me many years to accept the fact that I had to have one.
  • synchkat
    Options
    SynchKat, IDK. All I know is that the skin forms a lovely pouch that looks like crap and the scar under it from the surgery itself often bothers me.

I had really really really bad PPD after her....birth. (I hesitate to say birth. It felt more like an extraction but I guess birth would be the technical term) I would like to get rid of at least one of those reminders since they are a source of constant irritation.

I'd bet it's scar tissue and I kind of thought there are things they can to to lessen that. Might just be genetics though.
  • WanderingRivers
    Options
    Traumatic??! Had my kids via c-section and they were the 2 most beautiful moments of my life.

For me, it was very traumatic. The doctors LIED to me and coerced me into a surgery I neither wanted nor needed which led to a horrid rabbit hole of PPD. I am begging you, please don't belittle my experience just because it didn't match yours. Bully for you that you liked your surgeries. I hate mine. I hate that it was 5 o'clock on a Friday and they just wanted to go home so it was easier to lie and coerce me into surgery then to wait and see if I would birth normally.
  • synchkat
    Options
    That's too bad you had such a horrible experience. I pushed for 2 hours then they discovered my tailbone is deformed and c section it was. It was the shift change for the doctors so ibended up with like two doctors doing it because I think he wanted to see that on fact I was a mutant.
    But being told you all if a sudden have to have major surgery isn't super fun. I remember being terrified
  • GreenGoddess22
    Options

For some, the c/s is extremely traumatic. That's great if yours wasn't, but please don't belittle anyone who feels less than happy ( not saying you are). Kurumi, please feel free to message me if you'd like to chat; it took me many years to accept the fact that I had to have one.

I get that surgery is not the ideal option for child birth but for some it is also a matter of life or death. Had I not had the first one done, my oldest son wouldn't be alive. The second I chose to do because the scar was already there so why not?! Do I like my scar.. No. And the pouch.. Huh-uh. I don't think any of us c-section moms do.

@KurumiSophia I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but I feel that any birth or "extraction" of a child is a beautiful thing!

My first sounds a lot like yours. I'm beyond thrilled to have had a healthy happy baby! However the emotional pain is very very deep for some and unless you've been in that position, you'll never fully understand it.
  • rugbyishy
    rugbyishy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have c section scar, had pre eclampsia so choice of c section or i would be dead/brain dead. It was the most traumatic experience of my life and took while to feel connected to daughter even with breast feeding. Because Im so fat I cant see my scar but can feel it and do wander if I get to lose the 100lbs I want what will be there.

From all Ive looked into and trainer is to keep doing the ab workouts. Itll tone up as much as it can and what is left maybe just naturally how you will be. IT probably feels worse because it was unnecessary traumatic operation which you never recovered from. Before you have the tuck maybe work on recovery from the emotional trauma aswell.

• hali1
    hali1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you had to go through that, and I hope you can come to some peace with it. Nine years is already a long time to carry such a burden, emotionally.

As far as the healing goes, I suspect there're too many factors to be able to predict that from one individual to the next. I delivered my first via c-section but it was planned (he was breech), I had a great surgeon, no complications, and by 2 years later other than a really well placed scar, you couldn't see any difference. My friend had an experience more like yours, it was a rushed job with a less than excellent surgeon, vertical incision, and 25 years later her poor tummy is still a mess. I don't know if those muscles could ever heal up enough to be flat again. Plus there are factors like scar tissue that vary between people. So unfortunately even though it's possible to heal up just fine, I imagine you'll just have to see how yours looks at your goal weight. Good luck!
  • WanderingRivers
    Options

I get that surgery is not the ideal option for child birth but for some it is also a matter of life or death. Had I not had the first one done, my oldest son wouldn't be alive. The second I chose to do because the scar was already there so why not?! Do I like my scar.. No. And the pouch.. Huh-uh. I don't think any of us c-section moms do.

@KurumiSophia I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but I feel that any birth or "extraction" of a child is a beautiful thing!

Unfortunately, not every birth is beautiful. It can be marred by medical abuse, assault by medical professionals, as well as lies and coercion by those self-same professionals. I had no idea it could happen until it happened to me and then I found out that there are millions of women just like me who were taken advantage of by their doctors at a time when we are most vulnerable. It still hurts to this day. I won't have another child because of what I went through. The only thing I am waiting for is a doctor that will agree to sterilize me.
  • WanderingRivers
    edited September 2016
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »
    That's too bad you had such a horrible experience. I pushed for 2 hours then they discovered my tailbone is deformed and c section it was. It was the shift change for the doctors so ibended up with like two doctors doing it because I think he wanted to see that on fact I was a mutant.
    But being told you all if a sudden have to have major surgery isn't super fun. I remember being terrified

Pre-E, I get that. Mine was the result of an induction for being 41w. That was it. In hindsight, I should have never gone in and just waited until I went into labor on my own but hindsight is always 20/20. :(
  • WanderingRivers
    Options
    I hate the platitude of "a healthy baby is all that matters." There are few things that will enrage me more. Birth experience matters too. Talking to the mother like she matters instead of doing what's convenient for the doctor matters. So many things matter, not only a healthy baby.
  • JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    My son was "sunny side up" and completely stuck. After 15 hours of labor, I spiked a fever of 105 and they took me to surgery. I remember almost nothing. Had a scheduled C with my daughter. I'm at goal weight now, and the pouch is still there, but the more I work out, the more it shrinks. I will never wear a string bikini, but a two piece with boy shorts is possible.