Orange theory firness: have you lost weight going to OTF?

Options
bhanvi
bhanvi Posts: 133 Member
Could you please share the amount of time and weight you've lost through OTF sessions.

Replies

• amyk85260
    amyk85260 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    4-5x a week.. Nothing relevant maybe 6lbs on 3rd month
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Orange theory? What is this? I've honestly never heard of it.
  • mrbumblepants
    mrbumblepants Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Orange theory? What is this? I've honestly never heard of it.

Here is an article about it:

http://news.health.com/2016/01/13/orangetheory-fitness-trend-2015-facts/
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I lost over 30 lbs taking orange theory, although I also overhauled my diet. I think it's an awesome workout. I went from not being able to run continuously for 3 minutes to running a 7 minute mile. I started OTF in May 2015. HIIT has been so good. My resting heart rate has gone from 77-78 to 51-52. The strength component is also great. They really push lifting heavy and my muscle mass has gone way up, body fat % way down in the past year. I was never athletic or coordinated so I hated group fitness things, but something about this workout has brought out the inner athlete in me. I actually look forward to going instead of it feeling like a chore.

Oh I am a total orangetheory addict now. I call it my orange therapy. I am not trying to lose any more weight now, build muscle only, but it's a great workout and different every class so it keeps me from getting bored. I also think it's really fun, I have made a lot of friends and it has a community feel, at least at the studio in my area. I never worked out at all or stuck with anything until I did this.

Wearing the heart rate monitor is neat because you know when you can push yourself more and have someone else coaching you through. I go 3-5 times a week, consistently. Building the muscle has been key - burn more calories at rest that way. It has my metabolism so ramped up. Now I eat to fuel my workouts.
  • bhanvi
    Options
    Thank you so much guys. I just started otf and am doing it along with my diet. My HRM says that i burn 600 calories every workout but i don't know how accurate that is, I eat about 1200-1400 calories a day and workout everyday. I hope it helps me lose weight. :)
  • bhanvi
    Options
    divcara wrote: »
    I lost over 30 lbs taking orange theory, although I also overhauled my diet. I think it's an awesome workout. I went from not being able to run continuously for 3 minutes to running a 7 minute mile. I started OTF in May 2015. HIIT has been so good. My resting heart rate has gone from 77-78 to 51-52. The strength component is also great. They really push lifting heavy and my muscle mass has gone way up, body fat % way down in the past year. I was never athletic or coordinated so I hated group fitness things, but something about this workout has brought out the inner athlete in me. I actually look forward to going instead of it feeling like a chore.

Oh I am a total orangetheory addict now. I call it my orange therapy. I am not trying to lose any more weight now, build muscle only, but it's a great workout and different every class so it keeps me from getting bored. I also think it's really fun, I have made a lot of friends and it has a community feel, at least at the studio in my area. I never worked out at all or stuck with anything until I did this.

Wearing the heart rate monitor is neat because you know when you can push yourself more and have someone else coaching you through. I go 3-5 times a week, consistently. Building the muscle has been key - burn more calories at rest that way. It has my metabolism so ramped up. Now I eat to fuel my workouts.

Congratulations! It is so inspiring to hear your story.
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Oh!! Thank you so much. Keep at it bhanvi, I truly believe in the workout! My very first class, the instructor ran over to me and said, "Don't put your incline up any higher!" because I was clearly dying. He would never let me get away with that now! You will see sooo much progression, whether it is a new speed for your all out, or a heavier weight you couldn't even pick up a month ago, or a modification you no longer need to do, and be amazed at the things you never thought you could do.

I think building muscle is a big component in sustainable weight loss. At our studio they always say, "If your last rep feels like rep number 1, you aren't lifting heavy enough!" And that the one place you want to "fail" is in the weight room.

It's great if you have good coaches and they get to know you and really push you, in a very positive way, to meet your goals. I also like how you are forced to sign up ahead of time and not cancel a class. That has been a huge component in keeping me accountable. One of my coaches says, "Just get yourself there. Because once you're there, you're there." And I think about that a lot on days I don't feel like going. Sometimes I think, okay, I'm just going to show up - if I don't give it everything, it's okay, at least I got there and moved my body. Then I get in there and it's almost hard to hold back. It's like okay, okay, fine, I'll try, try!!

One of the coaches also says, "The goal of each session is to improve your level of fitness, not prove how fit you are." That helped my mindset a lot too. That it's not about what anyone else in there is doing, it's about pushing myself for my level, past what I thought I could do, and get uncomfortable, and get better. Not just do things I feel like I can do so it looks to others like I'm not struggling!

Keep at it, I'm excited for you! It was a game changer for me, because it was something I could stick to and just show up and have someone else coach me through and just not have to think about it.
  • jesshasredhair
    jesshasredhair Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm obsessed with orange theory! I have JUST begun tightening up my diet so I haven't really lost weight that I know of. I mean even if you burn 5-600 cal an hour that can be destroyed in 3 minutes if left alone with a bag of Hershey's kisses.

I'm going 5X a week and excited to report back in a couple months that my size has decreased as much as my fitness level has increased. It's efficient fun and intense. Love.
  • U2Bad1
    U2Bad1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I believe diet is important. However, a good exercise program always puts me in the mood to eat well (not to mention all the other health benefits).
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!