Possibly silly question... Do I *have* to weigh my food?

Options
I have seen several posts as I've gone through the forums talking about weighing everything you eat and that just boggles my brain. I am having a hard time getting behind that because a.) I can't justify having yet another gadget in my kitchen taking up space and b.) I can only imagine how weird I am gonna look to my family sitting there weighing and logging everything on my plate while they're already half way through eating dinner by the time I even get to the table.

Can I still lose w/o the extra doodads? Or do I have to spend yet more cash?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You don't gave to weigh your food, guestimating portions/calories is enough for some people to be able to lose weight.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    You don't need to weigh your food. However, if you aren't losing like you thought you would it's a really good place to start. For me, there's no point in logging if I can't be as accurate as possible (although none of this is really accurate). I think of it as 2 + 3 = 5, but if I'm not sure if the 2 is a 2 or the 3 is a 3 I shouldn't be surprised if it doesn't total 5.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I have seen several posts as I've gone through the forums talking about weighing everything you eat and that just boggles my brain. I am having a hard time getting behind that because a.) I can't justify having yet another gadget in my kitchen taking up space and b.) I can only imagine how weird I am gonna look to my family sitting there weighing and logging everything on my plate while they're already half way through eating dinner by the time I even get to the table.

I don't weigh mine. Somethings are more guessable than others. Prepackaged items have the weight on the pack. Some things clearly look like a cup measure, or a tablespoonful, etc.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I mostly measure with cups spoons and eyeball (ew, not literally). If I hit a plateau, I'll switch to using the scale I already own more regularly.

I also seem to be one of those rare creatures who overestimates calories consumed/underestimates quantity of food. I was waiting to be SHOCKED by how little a tablespoon of peanut butter really is, but it turns out I was pretty spot on with my scooping.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    You don't *have* to, no. Sometimes it helps people to be as accurate as possible, e.g., people who have a smaller deficit (so less wiggle room), people who eat a lot of calorie dense foods, or people who have hit a plateau.

Personally my food scale is the best purchase I've made while losing weight. I love knowing exactly how much I'm eating, and it cuts down on the number of dishes I have to wash by cutting down on measuring cups and spoons. It seemed like it would be a PITA at first, but it is actually more convenient for me than the other methods I've tried.

I also don't weigh my food at restaurants or when I'm at social gatherings, so no need to worry about looking weird or awkward. Though if you eat out daily or eat socially very frequently, that may be an issue for you.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »

I don't weigh mine. Somethings are more guessable than others. Prepackaged items have the weight on the pack. Some things clearly look like a cup measure, or a tablespoonful, etc.

Prepackaged can be up to 20% off the weight and you can really squeeze a lot into a cup. You don't have to weigh but it's more accurate than measuring cups and the weight on the package.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,120 Member
    Options
    You don't have to, but for me it is far easier. When I make my smoothy all that gets dirty is the bending container and one spoon. All the measuring is done on the scale. I pour in the appropriate weight of milk, scoop out of the protein power, cocoa, powerder peanut butter, and sweetener all by weight. I used to use measuring cups and spoons and had many more dirty dishes. At this point I prefer using a scale as long as I have the weight amounts for solids and even for liquids at times.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    You weigh the raw as you are prepping not after cooking. Suppose I'm lucky that logging is a 20 second task both me and my husband do.
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    When I first started using my food scale, I was amazed at how off I was about portions. My two slices of bread that would state were 84 grams would be over 100 grams when weighed. Even though I maintain now, I still use it frequently when weighing meats, cereal, pasta, and grains. I have never weighed veggies. Of course when eating on the go or out and about I just use my best judgment.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Do you have to? No, but many people underestimate serving sizes, sometimes pretty severely if you've never counted calories before. It's a good tool to have if you need it.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    can you put down the fork?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

You can lose weight without using a food scale.
    A food scale is a helpful tool and it takes seconds to weigh things out. I never bring mine to the table. I weigh stuff in the kitchen and then sit down at the table to eat. My family thinks I am doing what works for me which is not weird at all. It was less than $20 and takes up little space.
    If you stop losing, get a food scale and increase your accuracy. Don't post about not being able to lose weight until you try that.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options

Nope. I don't weigh anything and am losing weight every week.

My exercise is probably accurate, since I do it at the gym on a machine that times it and tells me how many calories I burned. My food diary is "good enough." To be honest, I'm horrible and don't even use measuring cups. I have a good idea how much I should eat and stay away from trigger foods.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    No, you don't have to.

Though, with regards to having yet another gagdet in the kitchen...it eliminates the need for measuring cups unless you're measuring liquids, so you could have less stuff laying around by using the scale more. Certainly less dishes. Another thing is that, if you like to bake like me, the recipe has better results because weighing is far more accurate than measuring.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You only need to weigh if you want an acurate diary. Of you lose fine with approximations then don't weigh. If you get stuck though that's where accuracy can really help. And if it takes you that long to use your scale you're doing it wrong.
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I haven't been here long. Before I *officially* started and was getting use to the app and logging, I read a ton of threads here. Do you have to? No, I don't believe you do. Should you? Probably. One thing I've seen over and over again is the closer people get to goal weight the harder time they have loosing OR they flat out aren't loosing at all and most of the time it is because they are inaccurate. If that doesn't concern you then you are golden!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    It helps a lot of people to learn about portion size. So, it depends on the person. Of course plenty of people lose weight without gadgets and food scales. A scale will add more accuracy and information. And for some people it's incredibly valuable to their success. But, my opinion for myself is that it doesn't matter if my measurements are off, as long as I am consistent and it's working for me. So, I eyeball now because I have been at this for four years, and never had much to lose any way (sometimes my focus has been weight gain). Some things I still measure in a cup. So, it's not completely scientifically accurate, but whatever it is, it's consistent.
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Sounds like I can do without unless something goes sideways with losing weight. Thanks y'all. :)