Kettlebell

Options
How are they different from free weights? I have never used one.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Their shape and smooth handle makes them good for explosive movements, like kettlebell swings. Explosive movements generally aren't ideal for beginners or out-of-shape people.

You asked about Bosu trainers yesterday, so i'm guessing you're bored and are looking for a popular novelty to make exercise interesting? What is your overall goal? And what equipment do you currently have? :+1:
  • bearinthebigbluehouse
    Options
    I have no equipment and just walk everyday for my cardio. I am looking for a total body workout. My goal is to lose weight and tone.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    When you use them similar to dumbbells, such as overhead press, etc, they add an element of instability which challenges additional muscles. Per my trainer.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    they are just different shaped weights. There are lots of things you can do with them. We used to balance them upside down in our hands and walk around with them , a variation of farmers walk. Beginners use them to learn deadlifts since they have a handle thats easy to DL. PEople use them for goblet squats a lot. KB swings are popular. HEck, there are a zillion things you can do with them.
  • SylviazSpirit
    SylviazSpirit Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I have no equipment and just walk everyday for my cardio. I am looking for a total body workout. My goal is to lose weight and tone.

You might want to checkout the app "Sworkit" It uses bodyweight for strength training and is a really good place to start. Of course there are tons of workouts but I loke the app because it puts it all in one place and tells me exactly what to do to get in my total body workout and I've been toning up quite a lot. Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there. I'm in no way affiliated just an avid user.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells are a great tool to build strength & conditioning on a minimal equipment basis.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options

I'd start with a simple bodyweight program, like Nerd Fitness, for example. After a few weeks, consider switching to a freeweight-based program, like Fitness Blender, NROL4W, or the one in my profile. Dumbbells are more versatile than kettlebells, so i'd get a pair of adjustable dumbbells - one that goes to at least 20-25 lbs. per dumbbell. After 2-3 months, you can supplement it with a few kettlebell exercises if you wish. Make sure to thoroughly research good form on youtube. :+1: