Getting fed up with the "You've lost to much weight comments"

Options
13»

Replies

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Yes, Yes, YES!

Not so much now (In fact, not at all now) as I've gained around 12lbs since the comments occurred but I did get a lot of "You are looking GAUNT, don't lose anymore" from colleagues. I also got "You don't want to look like a boy, stop losing weight" from colleagues too (Said colleagues were women - hence the cattyness). At the time of the comments, I was around the medium 'healthy' mark on the BMI scale. I could have got away with losing more weight and still remained 'healthy' yet the comments persisted. Quite insulting really.

The important thing is - do what makes you happy. If you are content with your weight, don't let anyone's opinion change your ways. People think they can make a judgement when it comes to weight when really it is something that is totally private and personal and shouldn't be commented on.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    It's a few things -

For one, those people tend to be a little (or more) overweight and have a skewed concept of "healthy".

Secondly, they are used to thinking of you as "Dave the fat guy" and now you are changing how they have to think about you. People don't like when you change their perspective on things.

Third, you are possibly making them feel uncomfortable because you are showing them that being fat isn't fate, it is a choice. You are taking away their excuses, so now they either have to accept their choice, or make a change which takes effort. People don't like effort.

A lot of people used to tell me that constantly when I dropped from 305 to 180, which took me about 2.5 years. It started at about 260 lbs. People were very supportive as long as I was bigger than them, but once I started getting smaller then they were, it was "too far"! I got to the point that people would say something and I would just ask if they wanted to see me naked, because I could show them where I still had weight to lose!

Eventually, people's concept of you changes and they will quit all the nonsense. Just go after your goals and don't let anyone stop you.

BTW, I'm pretty surprised of the negativity in this thread... although, not sure why. This is MFP, after all!