Do you monitor your HRM or pace when running races?

Options
This year I've wore a hrm and monitored my stats while doing 5k and 10k runs. In some ways I wonder if it's distracting so might try without.

Those with a hrm/fitness device, do you keep and eye on the stats when doing actual races or more so use for training?

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I do both but I pay more attention to my HR zone. I will often look at my km splits but skip one or two so I don't know exactly how fast (or slow) I'm running. Sometimes I don't look at pace at all and run by HR and feel. I tend to get discouraged if I'm not hitting the paces I want so it's not always best to know.

I have certain HR zones I aim for. I have certain HR zones I try to avoid unless I can see the finish.
    I *try* to stay in HR zones but I also balance it with how I feel. I let it creep up a bit if I'm feeling ok. I do try to stay out of my red zone though.
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    Options

I have certain HR zones I aim for. I have certain HR zones I try to avoid unless I can see the finish.
    I *try* to stay in HR zones but I also balance it with how I feel. I let it creep up a bit if I'm feeling ok. I do try to stay out of my red zone though.

What distances are you running? I did a 5k recently and spent the majority in the red zone. Imagine on longer races staying out of the red zone is more important?
  • 3dogsrunning
    edited September 2016
    Options
    powered85 wrote: »

What distances are you running? I did a 5k recently and spent the majority in the red zone. Imagine on longer races staying out of the red zone is more important?

I do anything from 1 mile to half marathon (and half Ironman).
    I made the mistake earlier this year of starting out in the red zone on a 5k race and died the second half. I mean, I was running my max HR for the first km. I just couldn't keep it up.
    Usually on a run, your HR goes up as the race goes on, even for a 5k. On this run my HR went down continuously. I physically couldn't move fast enough to get it higher.

ETA - but yes, I think for longer races it's more important. But shorter races can be affected too.
  • JimmyLedford
    JimmyLedford Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just got my Polar 7 heart rate monitor this past week and love it. The exercise calories are better measured with my monitor. I am bringing together so many variables right now and beginning to see progress. I have been on this journey for 100 days now and have committed for the next 15 months. I have 100 + pounds to loose. Would love some friends to share with and encourage.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    HR every time, and here's why:

(1) "Right now" pace is really hard to measure, so a lot of watches (including mine) don't always do a perfect job of it. Mine is good under an open sky but not so good near trees and buildings. I don't have a foot pod, and lap/mile pace isn't responsive enough for me.

(2) Hills.

(3) I know my LTHR, it's 165 bpm. In theory, the fastest I can run any race would be with an average HR of 164. I can usually feel when I cross my threshold, I'm burning matches above 165, recovering below.

As a cyclist that trains with power, I feel like pace should be a better way to pace your effort, but in practice HR works much, much better (for me).
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Personally generally it's pace, as I run trail endurance races HR varies so much that it's meaningless.

That said it is useful to have an awareness of LTHR as going over it is going to impact. For a 10K I can hold myself there and finish, but if I approach it in a Half or a Marathon I'll burn out far too quickly.

That said, testing it is a challenge. Mine is similarly 168 bpm, but on steep climbs it's easy to exceed.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    When it is hot like today, I will use HR more than pace. I'm running a half marathon today and with the weather I can't say for certain how fast I will be. Basing my strategy on pace could be an issue.

When I run shorter races, I look at my HR but do not pay much attention. I run by feel since the course is short. FWIW, I run 5ks at 92-96% of my max. No sense saving anything.
  • olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    In longer run I usually monitor my HR zone I have an alarm set when I go over so I don't get that distracted. Shorter runs I don't mind monitoring HR unless there's a lot uphill.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I am a runner and not a cyclist. So for me I do both. I am adapted to hot weather so weather is not issue for me. But my conditioning during training or races all matter. Short 5k or 8k, all pace. 1/2 HR and 10K both.

I did run 10K race yesterday, and did not do any running 10 days prior the race. I trained to do this race in splits. So because of my situation it was all all important at this point for me. I did finish 20th overall and surprisingly and placed in age group.
  • powered85
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Wow great points here thanks all. I run a Fenix3 with a footpod & rhythm+ so have access to estimated LTHR and close pace via the footpod. I should look at LTHR a bit more closely to see if that gives any benefit in the 10k runs.

I do feel it creates a bit of anxiety looking down at the watch though depending on how pace/time/hr is doing. Might need to get past that lol.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I don't train by HR, but if you do, ideally you'd use it to help you learn what your target race pace (based on HR intensity for the distance) actually feels like to run. If you do enough training at race pace (and other paces) with your HRM, you'll be well trained to run at the appropriate intensity and, in theory, shouldn't need to check your HR or your pace at all during the race because you'll be able to get yourself into the right rhythm, though it can be helpful to have the occasional quick glance at your splits to make sure you're staying focuses.

You also should be able to run faster than your LT pace if you are only doing a short race - it doesn't matter if the lactate builds up faster than you can clear it if you'll be finished soon anyway - you'll just be sore afterwards when it won't affect your racing.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    I do feel it creates a bit of anxiety looking down at the watch though depending on how pace/time/hr is doing. Might need to get past that lol.

If you want to target a specific pace or HR you can set it to buzz at you when you go out of bounds.

I've run with a Fenix 3 and a F3 HR and both of them put my LTHR at the same number every time. The consistency is impressive.
  • powered85
    Options

If you want to target a specific pace or HR you can set it to buzz at you when you go out of bounds.

I've run with a Fenix 3 and a F3 HR and both of them put my LTHR at the same number every time. The consistency is impressive.

Do you run a footpod too? Notice since I added one my LTHR and Vo2 max are significantly different.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I wear a Polar M400. I monitor my heart rate and pace during training and only monitor pace during a race. I don't see much point in monitoring heart rate during a race.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    And i forgot my HRM for my 5k race today.

I didn't end up looking at my paces either.

After I responded last night I thought of the point that I like being distracted. Thinking about my HR keeps my mind occupied.
    Plus, I do well if i know that I'm working at a certain effort and know I can hold it even if it's feeling hard.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I train by hr, race by pace.
    Although, I raced a new to me distance this summer and went by hr(kept it right below lthr for an hour). And I race by both during a duathlon - pace running, hr biking (no pm)
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options

Do you run a footpod too? Notice since I added one my LTHR and Vo2 max are significantly different.

What is the purpose of the footpod when running outside (other than a quick calibration)?

FWIW, I use a footpod only when I am forced to run on the dreadmill.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Foot pod is more accurate than GPS.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Foot pod is more accurate than GPS.

In principle I'd agree, although I'm not sure of the materiality, particularly on anything other than the track. My inclination would be that it's just a different pool of error as stride length varies while cadence shouldn't.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I ran for over a year with my Garmin 225 using pace; this year I switched to HR. What a difference for the better. I am able to train longer and harder using heart rate.