Resturant Foods and MFP

Options
Hi there, I am wondering how you guys calculate your food intake if you go to Mom and Pop Type of resturants? I have a Columbian BBQ place near me and I want some of their Ribs. But how would you count that? I believe they are Pork Ribs and are smoked. I cant just type in Columbian BBQ into the Food Search?

Replies

• Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    just type in "pork ribs" and some options will come up. Sometimes there are generic options already set up that I use or I just try to pick something similar.
  • ErinGiam
    ErinGiam Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    In cases like that, I just try to find the food in the database that matches up regarding size, sauces, etc. It might not be right on the spot but it will definitely give you an idea of how many calories it is :smile:
  • sbarham
    sbarham Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If you can't find what you're looking for in the database, I used Calorie King for a long time before I found MFP and used to look up food on there all the time! If you find something comparable there, maybe you could add it in to the MFP database! :)
  • Koshie
    Koshie Posts: 61
    Options
    Thank You guys this is great suggestions
  • KristyO
    KristyO Posts: 126
    Options
    I also use the "quick add calories" feature...right next to the box that you type in when searching for a food. So what I'll do is google the item, get a few different sources, pick the one with highest or second highest calorie count and just quick add the calories.
  • stocktontravis
    stocktontravis Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sbarham- Just wanted to say that I really appreciate that the reason you're trying to lose weight is to honor God. It's good to see others with the same intent! Praise Him!!
  • stocktontravis
    stocktontravis Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sbarham- Just wanted to say that I really appreciate that the reason you're trying to lose weight is to honor God. It's good to see others with the same intent! Praise Him!!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I just try to pick something similar from a different restaurant. If I can't find that, I'll use homemade that is similar. (I try to find restaurant first because they are generally higher in calories and sodium). I also put what/where I ate in my notes so I know how to log it next time or know what I actually ate if I go back to look at my food log.