Has any ever taken Victoza?

Options
2»

Replies

• jamieinohio
    jamieinohio Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I found out that I was pre-diabetic late in 2016 after I started experiencing neuropathy in my feet and legs. My A1C was 6.6% and my main issue was my morning numbers. I was started on Metformin, which has helped, but my 80lbs of excess weight is certainly what is causing the insulin resistance.

Has anyone had any issues personally had or known anyone with thyroid cancer, as a result of Victoza? My endocrinologist always lists out side effects clearly and mentioned that the does, given to lab rats, was 8x the human dosage. That is really the only barrier that is keeping me from starting Victoza. I would love to start this week and begin the weight loss. :smile:
  • lisakammwang
    lisakammwang Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I found out that I was pre-diabetic late in 2016 after I started experiencing neuropathy in my feet and legs. My A1C was 6.6% and my main issue was my morning numbers. I was started on Metformin, which has helped, but my 80lbs of excess weight is certainly what is causing the insulin resistance.

Has anyone had any issues personally had or known anyone with thyroid cancer, as a result of Victoza? My endocrinologist always lists out side effects clearly and mentioned that the does, given to lab rats, was 8x the human dosage. That is really the only barrier that is keeping me from starting Victoza. I would love to start this week and begin the weight loss. :smile:

I am a primary care provider, I prescribe Victoza regularly for T2DM. I use Victoza because it is a branded medication and there are co pay cards available on the Victoza website to help reduce copays. I myself am pre-diabetic and have used Victoza. I can only tolerate the 0.6 mg dose daily due to issues with constipation with use. I have never had anyone develop thyroid cancer during its use. The literature states that < 1% of patients developed papillary thyroid cancer in post marketing case reports.

As a FYI liraglutide is the generic name for Victoza. It is marketed as Saxenda for chronic weight management, dosing is different with max dose 3 mg/day vs. 1.2-1.8 mg for Victoza.