Healthy condiments?

Options
BrokeBirkin
BrokeBirkin Posts: 73 Member
Last night I made a pita filled with spinach, turkey meat, avocado, and mustard. The mustard didn't really do the job so I'm trying to think of anything I can use so it won't be dry. Any suggestions to how I could tweak the sandwich are welcome as well, but I'll say I hate tomatoes up front because I know most people would add that.

Replies

• choupetteL
    choupetteL Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I make various versions of tzatziki sauce. Basically greek yogurt,herbs, minced garlic,grated cukes (sometimes radish) and lemon juice. By playing around with the herbs (dill, z'atar,herbes de provence etc.) I don't get bored.
  • adamyovanovich
    adamyovanovich Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Hot sauce, buffalo chicken wing sauce, soy sauce, all super low calorie.
  • zoritt
    zoritt Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Plain Greek yogurt and add your seasonings / herbs ...that's my go to dressing. I also like hot sauce, mustard, low sodium soy sauce, hot salsa
  • ebee89
    ebee89 Posts: 2 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    - Salsa or salsa verde is my go-to
    - BBQ or buffalo sauce
    - FF Italian dressing or ranch dressing made with greek yogurt & fresh herbs
    - Sometimes chicken or beef marinades are delicious as sauces and pack a lot of flavor
    - Spices. Sometimes I mash up some avocado, peas, or chickpeas with spices/herbs/lemon juice for a spread.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Hummus maybe. I also love to italian dressing or balsamic vinaigrette. I like Kraft's zesty italian (lower calorie version) and Olive Garden's lite dressing.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    A lot of pret a manger sarnies have plain yoghurt added. A spoonful of greek yoghurt would probably go nicely with your ingredients.

Or just a dollop of mayo. I use full fat mayo and fit the calories in! It makes such a difference to the palatability of a sandwich.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I use hot sauce. Basically no calories. Also laughing cow cheese is 35 calories per wedge and spreads easily.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I would turn the avocado into a good guacamole. Garlic, tomato, lime juice and salt. Add chili if you want a kick. a little water will make more liquid if that is what you want.
  • pbandwine
    pbandwine Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Hummus, salsa, if you like cilantro, this recipe is amazing
    http://gimmedelicious.com/2015/09/27/creamy-avocado-cilantro-lime-dressing/
  • BrokeBirkin
    Options
    Wow you guys all have such great ideas! I planned on eating the sandwiches for the week so I'm going to try some of your suggestions and experiment each day. Now I'm excited!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Also...avocado is really creamy already. I eventually dropped a lot of condiments. At the end of the day condiment calories can add up to a nice little dessert!
  • BrokeBirkin
    Options
    Avocado is usually enough for me but the pita bread I got seems extra dry. That's why I wanted to find something lite but at the same time yesterday my count was way too low and I had to look for something to eat so I wouldn't be under. So I'm trying to add just a touch more to each meal and balance it out.
  • mjapape
    mjapape Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The mission low carb tortillas are great for wraps too!
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    This was really tasty. Not mayo but great in it's own right. Would make a great base for other sauces too.
    doctoroz.com/recipe/greek-yogurt-mayo
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Sriracha mayo is the bomb!