Coconut/Almond Milk - Refrigerated and Non-Refrigerated?

Options
I wanted to try buying some coconut milk instead of regular. I noticed that there was coconut milk in a box on some unrefrigerated shelves in the store. But there was also refrigerated coconut milk in the carton near the regular milk. Is there a difference?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    No. One is just cold and ready to drink at that temperature. Once you open the carton you should always refrigerate.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. Price is different. Product is not. The stuff on the shelves costs much more per ounce than the identical stuff in the refrigerator case. I always go to the refrigerator case cause I can put that saved money somewhere else.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Yes and no. Price is different. Product is not. The stuff on the shelves costs much more per ounce than the identical stuff in the refrigerator case. I always go to the refrigerator case cause I can put that saved money somewhere else.

Really? But for me it's the same brand...like you can choose between unrefrigerated or refrigerated Blue Diamond or whatever. They are both the same price.
  • Wynterbourne
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Really? But for me it's the same brand...like you can choose between unrefrigerated or refrigerated Blue Diamond or whatever. They are both the same price.

Yes, they are the same product. No, they are not the same price. Every time I go into the store I go to both the shelf and the refigerator case and look at the per ounce price on the shelf tags and do the math. The refrigerated product at every grocery store near me is cheaper than the shelf stable. Next time your are at the store, do the math.
  • arditarose
    Options

Yes, they are the same product. No, they are not the same price. Every time I go into the store I go to both the shelf and the refigerator case and look at the per ounce price on the shelf tags and do the math. The refrigerated product at every grocery store near me is cheaper than the shelf stable. Next time your are at the store, do the math.

That was an interesting way to respond.

Thanks.
  • Wynterbourne
    Options

Thanks.

LOL. It's the truth. When I first noticed the price difference I was baffled by it so I made a conscious effort to double check to make sure it wasn't a one time thing or I wasn't losing my mind. Oddly enough it came up in conversation with my dad one day. He lives across the country from me. He said the refrigerated is also cheaper where he is.
  • arditarose
    Options

Thanks.

LOL. It's the truth. When I first noticed the price difference I was baffled by it so I made a conscious effort to double check to make sure it wasn't a one time thing or I wasn't losing my mind. Oddly enough it came up in conversation with my dad one day. He lives across the country from me. He said the refrigerated is also cheaper where he is.

I'll look. I was just reading your tone the wrong way maybe :) It wasn't that I didn't believe you I was just checking to make sure you meant it was the same brand as well.
  • Wynterbourne
    Options

Thanks.

I'll look. I was just reading your tone the wrong way maybe :) It wasn't that I didn't believe you I was just checking to make sure you meant it was the same brand as well.

Ah, sorry. I was just trying to pass on the info. Wasn't trying to sound snarky or anything. I've checked Blue Diamond and Silk locally. Those are usually the cheapest where I am. Can't vouch for anything other than those two brands.
  • arditarose
    Options

Thanks.

Ah, sorry. I was just trying to pass on the info. Wasn't trying to sound snarky or anything. I've checked Blue Diamond and Silk locally. Those are usually the cheapest where I am. Can't vouch for anything other than those two brands.

No it's fine. Was probably me.

Here's my question...why would the refrigerated be cheaper? Wouldn't it be more because it's already cooled?
  • Wynterbourne
    Options

Thanks.

Here's my question...why would the refrigerated be cheaper? Wouldn't it be more because it's already cooled?

No clue, so I just Googled and saw someone mention this.

"The main difference is that shelf-stable products are ultra-heat pasteurized-- heated longer or hotter than regular pasteurization requires, to kill more bacteria-- and then tightly vacuum packed."

If that's the case then my best guess would be that the extra processing and different packing method ads the extra cost.
  • arditarose
    Options

Thanks.

"The main difference is that shelf-stable products are ultra-heat pasteurized-- heated longer or hotter than regular pasteurization requires, to kill more bacteria-- and then tightly vacuum packed."

If that's the case then my best guess would be that the extra processing and different packing method ads the extra cost.

Well it's all just too expensive anyway. I sometimes can't believe that I still buy it. I guess that makes sense though.
  • Wynterbourne
    Options

Thanks.

Well it's all just too expensive anyway. I sometimes can't believe that I still buy it. I guess that makes sense though.

I don't drink a lot of milk, so I only buy it when it's on sale. One of my local stores had the refrigerated half gallon on sale for $2.50 last week. Definitely snagged one then. lol
  • arditarose
    Options

Thanks.

I don't drink a lot of milk, so I only buy it when it's on sale. One of my local stores had the refrigerated half gallon on sale for $2.50 last week. Definitely snagged one then. lol

I use it in shakes and for a low calorie 5am first coffee. $2.50 is a steal. I would have gotten 4 lol.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Thanks.

Are you talking about dairy? That's what it sounds like.

arditarose is talking about almond/coconut/cashew milk. At my store they are the same (same product, same cost), except for some reason the cashew only comes in a larger container and refrigerated. (At WF I've seen it in the non-refrigerated and smaller size, I think.)

I am making my own cashew milk lately, which is much more caloric, of course.
  • cblairnh
    cblairnh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This may be country specific. In the US, nut milk (and soy) can be found in the refrigerated dairy case in "normal" coated cardboard cartons, just like some of the dairy milk. On the shelf, the same brand of nut milk (like Blue Diamond or Silk) will be in aseptic cartons, like the shelf-stable milk (Parmalat, etc). I've never priced it, but I would think the shelf packaging is more costly, so the milk would cost more per milliliter/ounce.
  • Wynterbourne
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Thanks.

Are you talking about dairy? That's what it sounds like.

arditarose is talking about almond/coconut/cashew milk. At my store they are the same (same product, same cost), except for some reason the cashew only comes in a larger container and refrigerated. (At WF I've seen it in the non-refrigerated and smaller size, I think.)

I am making my own cashew milk lately, which is much more caloric, of course.

No, I'm not talking about dairy. That quote was from a discussion on almond/coconut/cashew milk. I don't know if it's accurate. It was just something I found when trying to figure out why the price difference between the refrigerated and shelf-stable. Where I live in Oregon and where my parents live in Tennessee, the price per ounce is less for the refrigerated almond/coconut/cashew milk than it is for the shelf-stable version. I realize the shelf-stable boxes are normally the 1quart/946ml size while the refrigerated ones are half gallon/1.89liter size, but I have done the math so that I'm comparing equal amounts when I say the refrigerated containers are cheaper. I can take pictures of the shelf price tags next time I'm in the store. They are not the same price per equal volume where I live.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    The refrigerated here is available in half gallons, the non-refrigerated in quarts. The price difference is probably related to a higher cost per ounce for the smaller package.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    The refrigerated here is available in half gallons, the non-refrigerated in quarts. The price difference is probably related to a higher cost per ounce for the smaller package.

That's how it is here (price per oz being higher for a smaller size makes sense to me, as that's typically the case for all products), but they also have some quarts in the refrigerated section, which I thought was what arditarose was talking about -- exact same product/packaging, so far as I can tell.

I'm running by the store tonight, so will have to look at this.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Guys I honestly don't look at the price of food. I spend way too much money on it.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Guys I honestly don't look at the price of food. I spend way too much money on it.

Same here! I spend at least $200-250 a week for just me and hubby. Food is our biggest expense/bill.