1200 calorie diet

Options
2»

Replies

• selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    MFP posters are much more reliable and educated than doctors.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Does anyone think doctors assume most people aren't going to come on here, or log calories accurately, so they throw out 1200...hoping the client will just get into some sort of deficit? Or am I overthinking this?

ITA

OP, if you feel like 1200 will be too uncomfortable to you, ask for a referral to a registered dietitian. Some doctors stay current on diet and exercise expertise, others haven't paid any attention to those specialties since they graduated med school 20 years ago. If 1200 is necessary, an RD will be able to help you structure your diet so you are sure you are getting adequate nutrition while staying at that calorie level. Good luck!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Does anyone think doctors assume most people aren't going to come on here, or log calories accurately, so they throw out 1200...hoping the client will just get into some sort of deficit? Or am I overthinking this?

I'm sure there is some of that. Some people just guesstimate so they are getting more than 1200 anyway.

But 1200 has been around for decades. This old school diet info is a hard habit to break. Same thing with low fat this, and low fat that.

Sometimes I just want to yell - hey people this is not the 1970's! We've learned a few things since then.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    selina884 wrote: »

and some doctors know squat about nutrition and healthy dieting,thats when you go to a dietitian.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

Yes, doctors assuming lack of compliance is one of my two theories, the other being that doctors don't receive sufficient training in nutrition.

@stephsbuns if your doctor did not already refer you to a dietitian, ask for one, and see what they tell you.

How tall are you and how much weight do you need to lose?
  • caitlinhicken
    caitlinhicken Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I want to echo what a few people have said, and strongly recommend you see a dietician. MD's have minimal training in nutrition and diet. That's not to say that they aren't credible, but a second opinion can never hurt. I also agree that applying the MFP recommendations (at lose 1-1.5lbs/wk) is ideal in the meantime, as I know dietitians can be expensive depending on your insurance. 1200 calories is definitely doable, but I was never able to do it without being hangry lol. Feel free to add me as a friend if you need/want any motivation or a friendly environment!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I am around 240lbs right now and 5'6", so our stats are somewhat similar.

MFP gives me 1250. With two, 15 minute walks a day, I can get up to about 1300-1400 eating back exercise calories (and I always eat them back). You can take a look at my diary and see what I've been eating. I'm trying to find the balance of not being hangry, and it is hard at times. Some days I am, some days I'm not. This is for 2lbs a week weight loss target. If I decrease my weight loss target to 1.5 or 1lb per week, I get around 1500 calories (before exercise). I tend to feel my best when I get to eat around 1400. I'm only a few weeks in, but it feels sustainable for me at that level and I've definitely had some foods that I love to eat (breaded chicken, cornbread) that fit within my allocation.

I'd say it's worth meeting with a dietician, too (because doctors are not nutritionists). Measuring my food has helped me a ton.
  • Suzanne106
    Suzanne106 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Why are you asking other people that are very clearly NOT doctors? Listen to your doctor or get a second opinion
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    I can eat a whole lot of food on near that amount as long as I stay away from processed carbs. My diary is public if you're interested. The last week is blank because I was traveling but feel free to check out August.
  • mercuryinhell
    mercuryinhell Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am 150 days in (over 40lbs lost), and started at 1800 daily goal. At 1800, I wasn't getting the results I was looking for. I tried to reduce it, and I found I was always under the 1800 goal pretty easily, so I took it upon myself to lower it to the bare minimum for men. I have been at 1200 for a while now. It is hard some days. Really hard. If I need something or crave it though, I go get it! I find that if I need to hit that 1800 once in a while, that's ok! I usually have a 300 cal or less breakfast, same for lunch, and then don't overdo dinner. I mostly do a greek yogurt for breakfast/lunch, then a healthy dinner, and no snacks after 7. It really makes me appreciate the wife's cooking! Days I hit the gym I eat an apple with peanut butter after the workout.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    @TeaBea thanks for the link.. I think I am eating too many calories based off that calculator :O Time to recalculate my MFP stuff!
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Suzanne106 wrote: »
    Why are you asking other people that are very clearly NOT doctors? Listen to your doctor or get a second opinion

This!

In the meantime figure out what foods makes you feel fuller for longer. For some it is complex carbs, some proteins and some higher proteins and good fats. Try different types of food, as feeling full will be they key to your success in sticking to any plan.

• RhapsodyWinters
    RhapsodyWinters Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm shocked your doctor said such a low amount...I heard from a cousin who works as a...nutritionist? Something like that. She said no adult should consume less than 1400 calories a day. Anything less, she said, is dangerous and can really mess with your body in negative ways.

I'm set at a 1360 goal. 5'4 with SW of 261 and GW of 130. 2 lb per week. CW 253.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I am 150 days in (over 40lbs lost), and started at 1800 daily goal. At 1800, I wasn't getting the results I was looking for. I tried to reduce it, and I found I was always under the 1800 goal pretty easily, so I took it upon myself to lower it to the bare minimum for men. I have been at 1200 for a while now. It is hard some days. Really hard. If I need something or crave it though, I go get it! I find that if I need to hit that 1800 once in a while, that's ok! I usually have a 300 cal or less breakfast, same for lunch, and then don't overdo dinner. I mostly do a greek yogurt for breakfast/lunch, then a healthy dinner, and no snacks after 7. It really makes me appreciate the wife's cooking! Days I hit the gym I eat an apple with peanut butter after the workout.

The bare minimum for men is 1500. Any men that come here and read this thread or previous posters advice, this a NO NO and very dangerous and unhealthy.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    stephsbuns wrote: »
    My doc has told me to start a 1200 cal diet. I found out I'm pretty diabetic. feel like is very small amount. Of course sitting at 223 and would love be down 160. Is it possible on low calorie diet as this not hangry?.

So, I've had people on this site get after me on this, but I do fine on 1200 calories per day HOWEVER, I only have 15 lbs to go. When I was super heavy, I lost weight pretty easily on 1800/day. That seems far more reasonable to me.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    the reason most tell you not to go with 1200 at the start especially at a higher weight is because where are you going to go calorie wise when you lose a lot of weight? as you lose you are supposed to recalculate and mfp will give you lower calorie goals(it wont go below 1200). most people who are obese can eat more than 1200 calories and still lose weight. I was eating over 1800 and I was less than 190lbs(at 5'6.5),I still lost weight(I started at 209lbs). 1200 is too aggressive for some people and the less you have to lose the less amount of lbs per week you need to lose.1200 works for some but for others they can eat more and lose weight,so why not try it?

if you are being accurate with your calories and logging you can always drop it a bit if you arent losing say a month or so from now. most drs dont know crap and a lot of the people here have had drs tell them the same things,yet they ate more and lost weight. most drs think fast weight loss is ok and that should not be the case.

I had one tell me to eat 1200 calories which is less that my BMR, bad advice there and with so little to lose I would be risking my health.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    selina884 wrote: »

and some doctors know squat about nutrition and healthy dieting,thats when you go to a dietitian.
    This. My doctor openly admits to not knowing much about nutrition.
  • daisygirl2017
    daisygirl2017 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I think it's possible if you eat a lot unprocessed foods. A cup of green beans is 20 calories. 2 cup lettuce is about same so just think about what you eating. I'm going aggressive then when I get closer to my goal I'm gonna up 1lb a week