Stranger's remarks

Options
124»

Replies

• bmclogins
    bmclogins Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Those people are a-holes. And they would have said something stupid to you even if you were thin. They just would have found something else that they felt entitled to comment on. Because they're a-holes. And stupid. And selfish. And it genuinely has nothing to do with you.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    bmclogins wrote: »
    Those people are a-holes. And they would have said something stupid to you even if you were thin. They just would have found something else that they felt entitled to comment on. Because they're a-holes. And stupid. And selfish. And it genuinely has nothing to do with you.

Wish I could give you more awesomes.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    Not appearance related, but a couple weeks ago I was standing in the deli line at the grocery and this woman asked what I was going to do with my cilantro plant in my cart. We talked about uses for it and such and that was it. After she got her order she told me that "Everything in here [my cart] looks good, except those [diet sodas]. I haven't had a diet soda in 5 years." I two minute conversation about cilantro is not an invitation to critique my groceries! I just said good for you and let it pass. She must not have noticed the box of oatmeal pies that were hidden under all the fruits and veg. :wink: I guess I could have told her I've lost over 100lbs drinking diet soda, but she would probably say that's not the point.
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Not about my body but just general remark I often hear: "that's all you are eating??" (probably thinking "for someone your weight lol)
    It never occurred to me until today to reply "you are going to eat all THAT?
    As someone said earlier, tell me why I should care about your opinion?
  • BrokeBirkin
    BrokeBirkin Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    The thing that usually happens to me is I get the those people trying to "help" me when they see me being healthy. If I'm eating a salad or say no thanks to junk food they literally look at me like I have an eating disorder and try to force feed me (not kidding). Or when I'm working out or about to they will try to stop me saying "you look fine, you should have enough self confidence to stop torturing yourself". Telling me skinny girls are disgusting and I won't be pretty, how they like thick girls and my body is mouth watering, etc. (shudders). I do get the off comment about being over weight. The one that hit me was when I put on a tank top that was form fitting and was already not sure if I looked ok in it. When I was walking a guy yelled out his window "put your fat away!" I will admit I immediately put my sweater on (even though it was summer) and started crying.
  • Daenae18
    Daenae18 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    call me a dick but they were looking out for you....you should take that as a motivation.

A guy telling me he'd sleep with me if I was thin is not looking out for me, its negging. A teenager smirking at me as she critiques my smoothie choice is not looking out for me either. The girl in the elevator who wouldn't look me in the eye, I could accept as being worried, by a very thin hair. Look, I use it as a source of motivation, and I can accept that some people are genuinely concerned and bad at expressing it, but most do it because they're assh*les with a complex.
  • Daenae18
    Daenae18 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The thing that usually happens to me is I get the those people trying to "help" me when they see me being healthy. If I'm eating a salad or say no thanks to junk food they literally look at me like I have an eating disorder and try to force feed me (not kidding). Or when I'm working out or about to they will try to stop me saying "you look fine, you should have enough self confidence to stop torturing yourself". Telling me skinny girls are disgusting and I won't be pretty, how they like thick girls and my body is mouth watering, etc. (shudders). I do get the off comment about being over weight. The one that hit me was when I put on a tank top that was form fitting and was already not sure if I looked ok in it. When I was walking a guy yelled out his window "put your fat away!" I will admit I immediately put my sweater on (even though it was summer) and started crying.

That's so terrible! I'm so sorry that happened to you! My friends atm are still in denial about me losing weight. Partly because half of them are my size and partly because some feel like admitting that I am obese would be a grave sin somehow. So I get the comments about how I'm great as I am too. I tell them I'm not happy at this size and they either get defensive or tell me I just need confidence as well. As for the guy in the car, I'm so sorry that happened. No one deserves that
  • Crystal_Can
    Crystal_Can Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sometimes silence is deafening as well. I previously lost 60 pounds and the comments on the loss were becoming several times a day to the point I was uncomfortable and almost angry bc some of the people had never previously talked to me at work at all.....fast forward four years...I've gained it all back....no one said a word to me about it, but I sure get the body looks. Ugh.