Vegetarian Muscle Builder

Options
Anyone have tips for vegetarians that want to build muscle definition? I have been attacking eggs but what else can help facilitate?

Replies

• jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I've done a few bulking phases and am 100% vegan. I'd say you want to focus mostly on following a good fitness routine - the same as anyone on any diet would. Lifting to muscle failure repeatedly on a good schedule that hits all the major muscle groups, with a focus on compound exercises (if you're into that sort of thing).

On top of that, eat more calories than you are burning. There are a billion threads on how to gain muscle, so I won't go into that here. Just pick a good routine and stick to it.

For foods - brown rice, lentils, chickpeas, nuts (almonds, cashews, etc), nut butter, oats, quinoa - those are all great sources of protein.

I've found that a good balanced diet that is 500-1000 calories over my maintenance level works for gaining muscle, without too much fretting about getting enough protein. Just my own experience. I do drink brown rice protein sometimes, and occasionally eat protein bars.

Good luck!
  • Expat4Life
    Expat4Life Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Where it gets tricky is if you want to restrict your calories and build muscle, which is difficult and requires a really large amount of protein that it hard to achieve without guzzling lean chicken breasts all day. Here's a good article covering this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24092765

I'm also a strength training veg and have managed to gain lean muscle. I usually try to stick to high protein, natural foods but when I'm really looking to gain and want to eat more than gallons of egg whites, I will use what I like to call 'hippy protein powders', so organic, non-GMO, grassfeed, no additives (sweeteners, flavours, etc.) whey isolate powder. It's easy to add into food you're already making since it has no extra weirdness in it and gives you a big protein boost.

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Hi there,

I've done a few bulking phases and am 100% vegan. I'd say you want to focus mostly on following a good fitness routine - the same as anyone on any diet would. Lifting to muscle failure repeatedly on a good schedule that hits all the major muscle groups, with a focus on compound exercises (if you're into that sort of thing).

On top of that, eat more calories than you are burning. There are a billion threads on how to gain muscle, so I won't go into that here. Just pick a good routine and stick to it.

For foods - brown rice, lentils, chickpeas, nuts (almonds, cashews, etc), nut butter, oats, quinoa - those are all great sources of protein.

I've found that a good balanced diet that is 500-1000 calories over my maintenance level works for gaining muscle, without too much fretting about getting enough protein. Just my own experience. I do drink brown rice protein sometimes, and occasionally eat protein bars.

Good luck!

i'm sorry, but these are not great sources of protein.

• brown rice- 100 grams at 111 calories only has 2.6 grams of protein. Even if you ate 5x that serving size... that's what? 10 grams of protein?
    • Almonds- 20 grams of almonds at 115 calories has a whopping 5 grams of protein. You'd have to eat over 500 calories worth of almonds just to get 20 grams of protein.
    • Cashews- 20 grams of cashews are even worse. With a whopping 3.6 grams of protein for over 115 calories. You'd have to eat 500 calories worth just to get 18 grams of protein.
    • Oats- Again, poor ratio of protein. For a 100 grams of oats it's a whopping 400 calories and only 17 g of protein.

The above are more-so great sources of carbohydrates and fats. The OP seems to only be vegetarian, so i'm assuming dairy is an option. Here's some good sources of protein for vegetarians.

Fage 0% greek yogurt (small cup): 100 calories and 18 grams of protein. You could easily eat two for 36 grams of protein.
    • Tofu: for half a block of tofu you'd have 18 grams of protein and 160 calories.
    • Seitan: for 50g of seitan you'd have 37.5 grams of protein and 185 calories.
    • Whey Protein: for 30g you'd have 25 grams of protein for 125 calories.

This does not include all of the other protein sources like: protein bars (cliff, quest, etc.), pre-mixed protein shakes, eggs, faux meat products (morning star, quorn, boca, etc.), etc. etc. etc.

• butterbuns123
    butterbuns123 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Beans brotha. Alot of em. I'm vegan and I powerlift. Beans nut butters and I guess a good shake always helps.
  • Kev_Lifts
    Kev_Lifts Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian here. Tofu...so much tofu.
  • babychris1
    babychris1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Another vegan lifter here. Ola!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Just a quick point, you don't build definition you build muscle through a caloric surplus and you cut fat to gain definition. You'll want to concentrate on foods that have proteins that contain the amino acid Leucine as this is the amino acid that is involved in synthesis of skeletal muscle. If you feel you are lacking in that you can always supplement it directly with BCAA or Leucine supplements. Outside of that legumes generally have a decent amount of it and if you are lacto-oval then milk and eggs are good choices as well.
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    @BecomingBane should have some good advice for you :)
  • jondspen
    jondspen Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Nuts and whey...also amino acid supplements can help u
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    tapwaters wrote: »
    @BecomingBane should have some good advice for you :)

Ahh that guy doesn't know anything ;).

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/926789/protein-sources/p1

OP, that has all kinds of protein sources
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,203 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    If you're vegetarian & wanting to eat more protein: Yes, definitely eat plenty of "big protein" sources like those folks have mentioned above (I'd add tempeh, BTW.)

But add the strategy of trying to get at least some protein in almost every category of dietary intake, across your entire meals and all your snacks. Review your diary, find foods that are giving you a fair number of calories, but little protein, and replace them with foods that you like that bring you a bit of protein.

Salad dressing? Make one with plain Greek yogurt or cottage cheese. Need crunch on the salad? Seeds or nuts, not croutons. Snacks? Dry-roasted soybeans, crispy chickpeas, nuts or seeds. If you do dairy, drink milk. Thicken a "creamy" soup with pureed white beans instead of something starchy. Need extra flavor? Nutritional yeast, miso, more. Make a sauce for your stir-fry with peanut butter powder, soy sauce, and rice vinegar (plus seasonings of choice).

Eating rice? Eat quinoa or one of the more protein-y ancient grains instead. Pasta? Use chickpea pasta (texture similar to normal pasta) or edamame pasta (very different texture). Bread? Pick one with relatively more protein (I like the Ezekiel ones for tastiness, but there are lots of options that are even higher in protein).

Pick vegetables and fruits that have protein, in preference to those that don't. (These bring only small amounts, but what's the downside; and it's typically not complete protein, but eat a variety and that will balance out somewhat.)

By the end of the day, all these little things can add up to equal one of the "big protein" foods, and help round out your day.

For that kind of strategy, I've found this thread extremely helpful (it links to a huge spreadsheet of foods ranked by protein-calorie efficiency - just scroll past the meat/fish near the top, and you'll find veg sources):

Carbs and Fats are cheap. Here's a Guide to getting your PROTEIN's worth. Fiber also...
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Oh the protein puzzle! This was a long learning process for me, to top it I'm petite so less calorie quota makes this a bit tough somedays.

I started putting whey powder in anything that I could, oatmeal, yogurt, mashed potatoes, Mac n cheese, chocolate covered almond butter balls, banana "ice cream".....just get wild with it ; this really helps. Cottage cheese. Edemame, peas, chickpeas ( not so into tofu ), quinoa ( blend into rice/ soups/ salads cause it's high calorie ); nuts and seeds are fatty but needed fat/ good fats ( especially for us who don't eat fish ). I've found that I can't use oils or butter as liberally :( to cook with (at all) since I eat nuts for protein source. It works out well that way. Sprouted breads are also amazing for a balance of macros and micros! Higher protein veggies and balsamic vinegar (instead of dressing or frying). Fake meats if you can eat those.

Happy vegging!
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Anyone have tips for vegetarians that want to build muscle definition? I have been attacking eggs but what else can help facilitate?

Follow Katya on Instagram! She's a vegetarian bodybuilder and has had tons of success, plus she always posts meal ideas that look yummy
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Calm down on the eggs...add in protein smoothies or re-examine your meals to see where you can make changes...but keep in mind that protein itself doesn't build muscle. Don't overlook your other nutrients