How do you deal with hunger and dieting headaches?

Options
Okay so long story short, I reach my goal a couple years ago and was in the best shape of my life and super active and hitting the gym daily. Rapidly gained weight within the course of a 5-6 month period do to inactivity/hormonal issues/medications. Now that it is under control I want to get back to where I was which entails losing 60 pounds. I cut my calorie intake to 1500-1700 a day and currently the only activity I am doing is walking 10 k steps a day. Generally try to eat food high in protein and low in fat but I don't deprive myself. For example last night I had one cookie and that satisfied my cravings.

Its only my first week and I feel like I am hungry all the damn time. For breakfast today I had a breakfast sandwich and yogurt and I still feel hungry and cant wait for lunch. Last night I had trouble falling asleep because I was super hungry and I have been getting headaches which is not normal for me.

What is a good way to feel fuller? Satisfy sweet tooth cravings without ruing the day and avoid headaches?

Replies

• hydrostation
    hydrostation Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I always have a few pieces of fruit on hand for when this happens to me. I try to keep it simple and take really portable stuff like bananas, apples etc. My favorite is grapes though.

They are cheap, healthy, sweet, and satisfy me until the next meal.

Absolutely nothing wrong with having a single cookie to satisfy a sweet tooth.
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 79 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Maybe try adding some carbs like oatmeal or a sweet potato?

I try to eat every 3.5-4 hours which is about when I start feeling starving again.

While I think real food is better, a protein bar (I like Quest bars) or a protein shake will typically hold me over until dinner and also helps with my sweet tooth, dessert fix. Sometimes I'll heat up a protein bar in the microwave so it's warm and melty.

Also, adding in some "healthy fats" may help make you feel full if you are feeling hungry a lot, as long as it's portioned - real eggs instead of all egg whites, serving size of almonds, tablespoon of olive oil, avocado, etc.
  • shadowelmtree
    shadowelmtree Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Drink more water. A lot of the time people confuse hunger pangs when they are thirsty. Also snacks are important to help with maintaining steady blood sugar level. I like to have a hard boiled egg and maybe some baby carrots with a cup of green tea. A handful of salty nuts and an apple also helps me with some of the cravings I get.

I also get hungry at night so I've started to have a smaller or lighter lunch so I can have a more filling dinner. Has your caffeine intake changed because that cause headaches as well.
  • mazarasltm
    mazarasltm Posts: 205 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    If your disciplined and wont eat whole bag:
    Hi-Chew - lasts long time
    Sugar Free Herseys dark chocolate 32 cal
    Halls Vit Defense - Long sucker
    Sugar Free Life Saver
    Gummy vitamins
    100 Cal Tuna Pack/ 60 cal Wrap with Spinach & Cherry Tomato (maybe 1 slice Swiss) - if use cheese, melt it
    Trident (5 cal)
    50 Cal Lipton Soup - can add more water and chicken buillion
    Light Fit Dannon 80 cal yogurt - Can add a little granola
    1 fruit roll up is 50 cal
    Broth - Plain simple - fills stomach
    Baby Carrots - Very Low Cal (good for werk)
    You build an arsenal of low cal snacks and...
    Low Cal Goto meals.
    Variety of Food in Meals for satisfaction
    (tonigh : a little corn meal, little chicken, little left omlet, some decaf, carrots .... a little cake )
    If your gonna expend your calorie ration might as well walk away satisfied (which is why I eat aloot of suishi)
    Oh Course apples, Watermelon...

fuudq6rkluad.jpg

jqu5n9l9qkd5.jpg

What works for me, may not be you cup of tea.