again?

Options
I'm 54 and need to find a way of eating that work long term for me for weight management. I've lost weight with Jenny Craig and gained it all back. I want to eat real food but read so many kinds of arrangements - low fat, low carb, etc... I'm not the best at having energy after work to prepare food. I'll be reading all the forums but just wanted to post and connect.

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Welcome to MFP
    I have lost body weight by eating my favorite food, in moderation.
    Buy yourself a food scale, weigh everything you ingest and log it at MFP
    If you eat at a deficit ( calories burned higher than calories ingested) you will lose weight
    read MFP most helpful post at the beginning of this message board
    I found a Starting over thread that may be of help
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10040368/some-thoughts-on-starting-over#latest
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    You have to find what works for you. Sometimes it's a trial and error to find out what keeps you satisfied. I've been using MFP for about a month and I don't eliminate anything. I just make sure I stay within my calories. It has been working well so far. I don't feel deprived, I have energy and I'm enjoying it. I went from stopping at the store and buying a "throw in the oven meal" to preparing my own foods at home. I was always a good cook but I lost the will to do it. Now it's back because even after as little as a month I FEEL so much better and I WANT that good food. Sure, I have bad days. But don't we all?

You've taken the first step. Congrats!
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Welcome to MFP
    If you eat at a deficit ( calories burned higher than calories ingested) you will lose weight
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10040368/some-thoughts-on-starting-over#latest

All of this.
  • sohifirefly
    sohifirefly Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I agree with all that has been said previously. I understand being tired after work and not feeling like preparing food. I use my slow cooker...a lot. I put everything in it the night before and keep it in the fridge. In the morning I take it out and turn it on and when I come home from work...DINNER! I use Pinterest to find low calorie slow cooker recipes. I use leftovers for lunch/dinner the next day. Sometimes I use already prepared/packaged food for lunches at work like My Fit Foods etc. Makes sure I am eating healthier and not tempted by walking into the cafe at work. I don't do any extremes like cutting a food completely out of my diet. I just track everything and work to stay in my calorie limit for the day. That takes a little planning (know options for snacks etc) but works for me.

You can use the Recipe Builder option on MFP to create your slow cooker recipe to track calories accurately. It takes a little time up front but then you always have it to use later and know that you're tracking it right.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    thinmog wrote: »
    I'm 54 and need to find a way of eating that work long term for me for weight management. I've lost weight with Jenny Craig and gained it all back. I want to eat real food but read so many kinds of arrangements - low fat, low carb, etc... I'm not the best at having energy after work to prepare food. I'll be reading all the forums but just wanted to post and connect.

Excellent - so you've discovered all the fad ways of crash dieting, restricting and such aren't sustainable or doable for you. Now just eat the foods you like but at a calorie deficit.
  • thinmog
    thinmog Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!!
  • delboy604
    delboy604 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I am the same,back again to burn calories. I wish all the best. Good luck.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Welcome to MFP

This.

You can still lose weight by including the foods that you enjoy alongside nutritious foods.
    No need for fad diets. Stick to a way of eating that you can do forever. :)