Pre Workout Supplement Question

Options
I am looking for an easy pre-workout to take.

I eat lunch around noon and workout as soon as I get home around 5:30pm. Usually a stronglifts 5x5, 30 minutes of a cardio video, or a short 30 minute run. I eat dinner after. I want something super quick that gives me a a little caffeine, and maybe carbs and "other stuff" to get me through a short workout without adding a lot of calories to my day. A regular protein shake is too much and also takes too long to prepare.

Any advice is welcomed!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    You don't really need a pre-workout for what you're describing.

Maybe just have an apple...
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'd just drink coffee or a serving of Amino-X BCAA's. You aren't working out super early or late, so I think you may be best off just choosing one of those options. Or a sugar or carb-oriented food like an apple, banana, etc.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    If you really think you need a pre-workout, several stores carry flavor packets made for 16.9oz water bottles that are formulated for energy. They contain Vitamins B6, B12, C and caffeine for the most part.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    A cup of coffee?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Since all you want is a little caffeine and a few carbs, I'd go with coffee or tea with sugar.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Coffee/diet soda and gummy bears/pixie sticks or a piece of fruit if you want healthier. But gummy bears/pixie sticks have dextrose/maladextrin so they are the quickest acting carbs. And they just taste so good.
  • xvolution
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Coffee/diet soda and gummy bears/pixie sticks or a piece of fruit if you want healthier. But gummy bears/pixie sticks have dextrose/maladextrin so they are the quickest acting carbs. And they just taste so good.

You can also use Dip It powder for a maltodextrin/dextrose mix if that's available. I would often use those to treat low blood sugars, but they're hard to find outside the month of February.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    xvolution wrote: »

You can also use Dip It powder for a maltodextrin/dextrose mix if that's available. I would often use those to treat low blood sugars, but they're hard to find outside the month of February.

Is Dip It like fun dip? Candy stick with pixie stick like powder?
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I put a scoop of protein plus Amino Energy (vanilla latte) in a coffee over ice.
  • xvolution
    edited September 2016
    Options

Pretty much. The powder is made from maltodextrin/dextrose. No need for the stick.

EDIT: Looking up the ingredient list for pixie sticks, they don't contain maltodextrin. Just dextrose.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Pretty much. The powder is made from maltodextrin/dextrose. No need for the stick.

EDIT: Looking up the ingredient list for pixie sticks, they don't contain maltodextrin. Just dextrose.

Interesting. It's still fast acting, so it should do the job.
  • Lindsay375
    Lindsay375 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Pixie Sticks sound like a great idea! I agree about not needing a "product specifically marketed as pre workout", but I need something for pre workout just to keep me going. Fruit would be great, but I also suck at grocery shopping so something that I can buy a lot of and keep in the cabinet is ideal.

Thanks for all the feedback
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    As long as you're getting proper nutrition throughout the day, it's doubtful that you'll deplete your glycogen stores during a 60 minute workout to the point where you need quick replenishment. Sounds like a little caffeine may be what you need.
  • lpaigewilsonmfp
    Options
    for pre workouts you can get ones with varying caffeine levels as well as other ingredients. For myself, I like a pre-workout that has roughly the same amount of caffeine as a strong cup of coffee, but I like the mental focus and "muscle pump" that I get from pre workouts... if if all i wanted was caffeine i would just drink coffee, and I don't want to much that I will feel a harsh crash afterwards. My favourite is the brand "nutribolics" all flavours are awesome, and cellucor C4 and then another one that i can't remember the name of.