More Fiber

Options
I am having trouble getting enough fiber in my diet. If I try to add more fiber I add too many calories. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Vegetables are a great way to add fiber without adding a lot of calories -- things like broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower. Beans are denser in a calories, but can add a lot of fiber to your meals.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    eat your veggies
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I average 40g a day (RDA for men my age is 30g). I do so by reading labels when I grocery shop, and always choosing the option with more fiber. When eating out, I'll choose whole grain options for things like bread and rice. And I make sure to eat my fruits and vegetables. If you're doing low carb high fat, that's going to make it more difficult.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I get 11 g of fiber with breakfast. As you can see, chia seeds provide only 10 calories per gram of fiber.

11faae8c1a45f6c9a697ea033950830e.png
    (I also add a pinch of salt.)
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Eat beans! There's lots of fiber and protein in them.
  • acbraswell
    acbraswell Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Veggies, fruits, seeds, whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat bread and pasta). Nutritional yeast is a good flavoring to add to veggies too. I get ~25g a day. Fiber definitely helps keep me full.
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I add a serving of Fiber One cereal to my yogurt. Mimics the crunch I like from granola, not as calorically dense. 60 cals for a 30g serving, and I get 14g of fiber!
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Veggies! I love broccoli and cauliflower. I'm a cauliflower nut, lol. Romaine lettuce, avocados, celery, all good options.

If you're trying to get more fiber because you're constipated, you have to watch your dairy intake as well. Too much dairy will back you up something awful :(
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    My problem is too much fibre. Some days I have over 40g which makes me constipated and gassy. I eat a lot of fruit & veg, grains, beans etc.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    legumes and whole grains.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to get all your fiber from whole grains, it can definitely start to get calorie-y. I find when I get plenty of veggies, and add in some beans or lentils, I can get to my fiber goal, otherwise I struggle. Lentils are kind of awesome and something I only discovered recently, they are high in protein AND fiber.
  • Nancela
    Nancela Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great suggestions. I do eat as many fruits and veggies as I can but my system can only tolerate so much. I also cannot eat nuts or seeds. I will try adding beans and Fiber 1 cereal. This should be very helpful. As you can see by my picture I am not a young person so a lot of foods younger people can eat do not work for me. What about flax? Does it have a lot of fiber and can I sprinkle it on my cereal? Is it easy to digest?
  • KWlosingit
    KWlosingit Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I love the items from Fiber Gourmet. Lots of fiber and less calories than the lower fiber equivalent.
  • Nancela
    Options
    What is Fiber Gourmet?
  • KWlosingit
    KWlosingit Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Not sure I am allowed to link to the web site. Do a search and you will find the company. Awesome pasta and cracker type items.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,877 Member
    Options
    All bran buds. Chia seeds. Both add a lot of fibre AND are helpful with making you feel full. Mix in 0% yogurt, with cashew milk, in sugar free puddings, or bake into brownies... whatever you want!!!
  • Nancela
    Options
    I just checked my log and noticed that some entries do not include the fiber. I will make sure to check more carefully and select entries that do include fiber. My fiber intake is closer to my goal than I thought.
  • bunnyluv19
    bunnyluv19 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    fresh/dried figs,dates& pears are all great sources of fiber :smile:
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,989 Member
    Options
    Psyllium.