250 calorie deficit

Options
Hi,I'm a few pounds from my goal weight and currently working towards maintenance.I've added back 300 calories(50-100 per week) so far.Looking for anyone who has maintained a 250 deficit to lose more slowly close to goal give any advice for success and/or share your experience. thanks :)

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Hi,I'm a few pounds from my goal weight and currently working towards maintenance.I've added back 300 calories(50-100 per week) so far.Looking for anyone who has maintained a 250 deficit to lose more slowly close to goal give any advice for success and/or share your experience. thanks :)

Yep.. that's what I do when I lose weight. Its slow, not painful at all as long as you keep your expectations in order. I use a weight trending app, fluctuations are gonna make you think you are not losing any fat when in deed you are.

• llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Toward the end I switched to losing 1/2 pound each week. At times I would lose more weight.
  • bunnyluv19
    bunnyluv19 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thank-you, for all your replies
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    When I switched to maintenance, I added 100 calories a day & bumped it up every couple weeks. I ended up losing more than I intended to because my maintenance # seems to be higher this time than it was a couple years ago.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I'm curious how you know what your actual deficit is when using the MFP tool as designed? In other words, if I'm 150# female 5-7" set to lose .5 pound per week with a goal of 130, what is MFP assigning as my deficit?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,020 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I'm curious how you know what your actual deficit is when using the MFP tool as designed? In other words, if I'm 150# female 5-7" set to lose .5 pound per week with a goal of 130, what is MFP assigning as my deficit?

Somewhere around 250-300. Since we all have slightly different lifestyles, ages, exercise levels, muscle mass - keep good records for a couple months and it will become clear if you are set at a good number.

You can also set yourself to "maintain weight" and see what it tells you.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    @cmriverside. Thanks, I should have thought of that. Variance for me is exactly 250. Boom!
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    That's what I do.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are spot on!!
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I've been doing that for over a year now when I gain a lb or two after vacation etc. Can't go any bigger of a deficit as I get too tired and lethargic. I found the lighter I got the smaller of a deficit I could consistently keep on.
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Yep, that is the most I can manage. Net of only 1,260 with 250 calorie deficit. It's hard because there's not much room for error.
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    shrcpr wrote: »
    It's hard because there's not much room for error.

Exactly. That's where being honest, using a food scale and measuring in grams really helps you dial in when it's such a small room for error.
  • theclaw900
    theclaw900 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Running a little deficit gives you room if you go over too.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

Yep.. that's what I do when I lose weight. Its slow, not painful at all as long as you keep your expectations in order. I use a weight trending app, fluctuations are gonna make you think you are not losing any fat when in deed you are.

all of this ^^^ plus tighten up the weighing/logging..... smaller deficit=smaller margin of error. It helps me to bank calories for the weekend for variety and, as @theclaw900 points out, gives you wiggle room at the end of the week when going out may make pre-logging less accurate.