Your weight at the time of your first diet vs your highest weight after

Options
13»

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    This is my first real diet. I did do a few random week or less fad diets as a teen just because my friends did, or that one time I wanted to try my aunt's diet which lasted 6 hours. I was obese all through my teens and a good portion of my childhood but wasn't interested in weight loss.

Started my first diet (this diet) about 3.5 years ago or at the age of 31, I did spend a few month before that just observing my eating habits reluctant to make any changes, so let's say 4 years ago. Not sure what my starting weight was because my scale didn't go that high, but I entered my last known weight (139 kg - 306 pounds) as a starting point. I'm pretty sure I had gained some more after that last recorded weight.

Now after? Not sure where I will let my weight settle at goal, probably somewhere between 68-72 kg, but my current weight is around 96 kg (211 pounds) up and down a couple of pounds as I'm taking a maintenance break. After I managed to regulate my blood sugar and hypertension I have gotten very lax and slow at dieting with extended maintenance breaks, so I expect it to take another 3-5 years to reach goal weight.

Edit: I did regain about 30 pounds last year after quitting smoking and letting go of food intake control to focus on quitting, so I guess this makes this diet number 2? I was about the same weight I am now when I quit, so I basically re-lost the gained weight so far and any further progress will be a new low.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    When i first started dieting:

highest weight after dieting:

I have never gotten above my initial starting weight.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Russellb97 wrote: »
    Anyone think that dieting is one of the factors that can lead to obesity?

I think most diets do not talk about calories at all or have a solid maintenance plan. Most are unsustainable long term. So a lot of people gain when they stop the diet. I think diets exhaust and frustrate some people so they go through periods of not paying attention. It is very easy to eat just a bit too much, stop weighing yourself, not acknowledge the changes.
    I think for me my weight gain was lifestyle change, aging, not knowing how many calories I needed and eating slightly more than I should regularly. I didn't gain 20-30lbs overnight or even in one year ever. I got to my highest weight gradually over many years.
  • ElkeKNJ
    ElkeKNJ Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    First time I started dieting in my twenties I was about 56 kg/124 pounds, now working my way down from 72 kg/158 pounds. The highest weight I ever had was 75kg/165 pounds, but that was my highest pregnant weight. If I had not stopped myself two months ago, I would be at that weight again, but no baby this time. Apparently I am not the only one who cannot keep the weight down effortlessly. What happens? Is it mentally that we do not feel when enough is enough, or is it physically that our CO has actually lowered?
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I did my first diet, Atkins, when I was 17. I lost about 100 pounds in a year. Of course I gained it back plus more. My second diet was Weight Watchers. I went from 306 to 189 in about 1.5 years. Gained it back. My last diet I used MFP. I went from 340 to 179 in 9 months. I like being able to eat what I want and still lose weight. I always tend to lose much quicker than I should, I'm not sure why though. I might have an over active thyroid, but I haven't had it checked yet. I did gain some weight this year due to my binge eating disorder, but I am on Vyvanse for it now and I have lost 7.4 pounds in the first week. Mostly water weight, but I am happy with it. My goal is to lose another 52.4 pounds, which I am hoping to hit my March of next year. I am struggling with what to do when I hit that weight. I don't want to look muscular, as I like the skinny lanky look, but I might try to add maybe 10 pounds of muscle to look a little better. I'm just not sure yet until I hit that weight and see how I look.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,140 Member
    Options
    ElkeKNJ wrote: »
    or is it physically that our CO has actually lowered?

For me ... very clearly this.

Just about every time I've moved and/or been hospitalised with something, I've gained weight. Chalk it up to lack of exercise.

For a couple months leading up to a move, exercise is put on a back burner. Instead of cycling 100+ km/week and walking 15-20 km/week, we're down to doing next to nothing. And food intake becomes a matter of convenience. This is when we order take away because it's just easier that way. Or we finish up the last of the cereal for dinner. Or I go on a little cake-making spree to get rid of all those cake mixes.

Similar sort of thing when I'm out of action because of a health issue. No exercise, and eating becomes something of a convenience rather than paying attention like usual.

But the minute I get back into a stable situation again, I lose the weight.

And if I stay in the same place for a while, and am reasonably healthy, I quite comfortably maintain my weight. :)

• ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Anyone think that dieting is one of the factors that can lead to obesity?

Well, now that I've checked your profile... what does the co-author of The Spike Diet think causes obesity? And why doesn't he just use the existing term, "adaptive thermogenesis", to describe it?

I definitely believe that is part of it of course but I'm also blaming the emotional and mental impact of dieting.

We begin a bit overweight but want to be thinner. So we diet and lose weight, then we stop and we regain weight, plus maybe some more. So we blame ourselves for the failure and start another diet hoping it "works" again. Then we just repeat the same cycle again and again and again. Pretty soon we are no longer overweight but obese.

Dude. That's like explaining paint by numbers to a 6 year old. If users here were still in the "diet" state of mind they'd be off doing a juice clense not counting calories. I emplore you for blatantly ignoring the sarcasm though. ..
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I was a little girl, not sure of the age, but younger than 10. I was a chunky kid, but I think that if my family had eaten healthy food and left me alone, I would have outgrown it and had a much healthier attitude about my body. I was told that I was overweight and told that I shouldn't eat so much. The house was full of junk food snacks, which I would eat and then be shamed for eating them. Mealtimes were also contentious. Everything was fried and had gravy on it, including the vegetables sometimes. I would be told to "clean my plate". As a teen, I tried every crash diet I ever heard of, including the banana diet, the popcorn diet, and the cabbage soup diet. I hovered around the 120's until college when I got really sick. I hit about 112, which was really too small for my frame. Then, my family started talking to me about anorexia! Years later, I would be diagnosed with crohn's disease and put on steroids, which helped me to balloon up to 217. Now I'm struggling to reach a healthy weight. I'm at 205 right now.
  • healthy491
    healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Started 2 years ago at 59 kg and I've been maintaining at 50kg for the past year
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Grade 11 I was 165...so for graduation I decided not to be "fat". I wasn't...a very small 130lbs...I did calorie counting but had no idea about "eating too little"...I think my goal was 1000 or something stupid like that...

I kept it off mostly until I got pregnant in the military at 20...no physical training allowed back in the early 90's..smh...

I hit 165 a couple years ago and I was like..wow you were not fat in grade 11....

Oh note tho...my prom dress is a size 10...it fits me now...perfectly like it did back in grade 12....at 130 (yes I lift etc) but all my other clothing is a size 6....what does that say about our sizing now.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Eh...I gained like 25 pounds in university, bartending and eating poorly and sleeping odd hours and never exercising. I hit a BMI of 25 for the first time in my life and then I went on my first "diet" (calorie counting), lost 30 pounds, and have kept it off for about 4 years. No yo-yoing or broken metabolism here.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I was always on the thin side until college. That weight just came off naturally after college when I got a job. Got married and had two children lost the weight after them naturally. Quit smoking in mymearly 30's and put on 10, 15 pounds, it came off gradually over 5 years. Got to menopause and ????? idk, but basically shot up to 175 pounds? Wasn't even using hormone replacement. I still can't figure that out knowing what I know about CICO.

I started calorie counting and lost it over two years. Maintained around 125 pounds for 5 years plus. Litlerally got tired of not eating whatever I wanted whenever I wanted and gained it all back in three years.

Last December began Calorie counting again and I'm at around 130 pounds the past month. Still losing slowly now.

IDK if dieting causes obesity or not.
  • AlabamaMama224
    AlabamaMama224 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    When I was 20 I weighed 208. The doctor put me on Meridia and that combines with a very physical job dropped my weight to 140.

I kept the bulk of it off until I got pregnant. I was 252 the day I delivered my daughter. I ate all the foods.

I bounced around in the 210's 220's for three years and then joined weight watchers. I got to 200 and found out I was pregnant.

I was 250 the day I delivered him.

When my son was 9 months old I went to a weight loss clinic,weighing in at 224. The doctor put me on adipex.

Sure I lost weight. I didn't eat or sleep ( I was working nights, so it served a double purpose) I was down to 130 the thinnest I've ever been in my adult life.

I went off the medication to have another baby. I got put on complete bed rest for that pregnancy... I was 242 the day I delivered my 3rd child.

I clearly have issues with food,but this time I'm not looking for a fast fix. I can see how much damage that kind of yoyo dieting did to my body.

No time like the present to learn, eh? ;)

• rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    When I was 21 I was 165 lbs. and joined Weight Watchers to lose some weight before my wedding. I wanted to be as thin as I was when I graduated from high school (I think I was around 145 lbs). At 5'11" 165 lbs wasn't overweight but I remember being very frustrated that I was only losing about a half a pound a week so I quit when I got down to about 160.

In April of 2015, when I joined MFP, I weighed 237. I'm slowly working back towards the weight that I thought was fat 14 years ago.
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Whenever I've been on a diet, I've been about 50-100lbs overweight. When I changed my lifestyle to a long term one I could sustain, I lost it all.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    My first diet was in high school and I weighed 110 lbs.
    My top weight was 178, about 35 years later and about 2 years ago.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Whenever I've been on a diet, I've been about 50-100lbs overweight. When I changed my lifestyle to a long term one I could sustain, I lost it all.

Exactly, I wasted so much time and many tears dieting. Switching from dieting to an enjoyable lifestyle is what cured me.
  • whatevany
    whatevany Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I've been dieting for almost my whole teen/adult life, but I remember weighing 145 about 30 years ago.
    My highest weight was 6 years ago at 329 :(
    I'm now the smallest I've ever been, and its sometimes unreal that I'm in the 120's when I step on the scale!