Starting gym

Options
This may seem a silly question (I'm sorry)
I'm starting the gym today and I've heard that excersise on an empty stomach followed by a small carb meal one hour later is the best way to benifit (fat loss) is this true?
I've just woken up and gym opens at 9am so hoping to miss the rush and get there early. Do I eat first or not?
I will be having at least 2 glasses of water before I go and I'll take some with me.

I'm on a high protien low carb diet (only diet that worked for me) but not super strict. I am eating vegetables and macros are set to 15% carbs per day

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It's personal preference. Some perform better on an empty stomach, others have to eat.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    It's up to you :)
    For me, I couldn't work out on an empty stomach because I'd feel weak - which would certainly effect my work out. Trial and error!
  • bexilashious
    bexilashious Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Thank you x
    Only now coming home
    Tried it fasting
    Really proud of myself
    Lots of cardio
    Tomorrow I will eat and see if there's an improvement
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Lift lots of weights instead of doing lots of cardio!!! it's 100000 x better for you then cardio!
  • xXGearheadXx
    xXGearheadXx Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I eat 30 minutes to an hour prior to working out. IMO, there's nothing worse than working out on an empty stomach. I'll second the poster that suggested lifting weights instead of Cardio.
  • tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I exercise fasted - whether it's cardio or weights. But I go at 5am, so my stomach hasn't even had time to realize it's empty yet.
  • RandiNoelle
    RandiNoelle Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    When I go for runs first thing in the morning, I don't eat. When I do strength training after work, I eat a small snack with some protein about an hour before I go. I think it's a personal preference thing. :smile:
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I exercise on an empty stomach. It works better for me.
  • sweetilemon
    sweetilemon Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I usually have breakfast the go, it's a drive away so I'm not as full by the time I get there. Couldn't go without, I'd be starving by the time I got home ( usually am).