A knife's edge - maintaining 6% BF

I've always had an extrem ideal of what a man should look like, but I was to lazy to actually achieve it. For about a year I am working out heavily and limiting my calories to reach my goals.
For 3 Months I am more or less maintaining and I find it incredibly though to not lose too much weight. I am 1,8m/ 5' 11 and weigh 68-70kg/ 150-154lbs. This is about as low as I think is healthy. Now especially after running half marathon distances I struggle to eat back enough. It often takes me a week or more to bounce back.
At this point it is not yet a problem but once I hit marathon distance I ll be screwed...

Anyone got any tips or experience how to handle this or similar situations?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    decide which you want more? to be that lean, or run marathon distances?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Kudos for your dedication.
    No I've no experience of being that lean - calling @Hornsby who may be able to offer advice.

I'm a long distance cyclist and would imagine you would have to be incredibly precise to fuel your running for performance and recovery, much easier to do on a bike when you can eat and ride.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Eat lots of food. I'm a little confused on what you are asking?
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    It is highly unlikely that you are a true 6% and if you are, it will not do you much good to maintain that level for long. Hormones will start being suppressed significantly etc
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited September 2016
    6% BF? How are you getting that? How are you actually measuring your BF? Have you had a DEXA? Your height and weight don't suggest a man at 6%, more like 10% unless you are an experienced lifter and then maybe 8%. As @trigden1991 mentioned, if you are too low it will suppress your hormones and cause undue stress on your body.

I would strongly recommend you find a level that is comfortable and sustainable. If you are having problems eating back then you really need to find out why. It might be a hormonal issue and I would see your doctor to run some tests to see if you are within range on your testosterone and cortisol levels.