Help evening eating

Options
Does anyone have tips on how to stop the evening binge? I do great until I get home from work then I eat everything I see. I can't stop any suggestions would be most appreciated

Replies

• LittleOneLoveLife
    Options
    Plan Something In. If i'm being sensible I have a Protein Brownie or a Casein Protein shake to help towards my goals. But sometimes I have fruit, I always allow my self enough calories at the end of the day to satisfy my needs. Failing that your body may be calling out for a nap, hydration or entertainment. My main trigger is boredom and tiredness.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    Take a walk instead.

Take up a hobby.

Make sure you are eating enough before that - like don't wait all day to eat.

Keep binge foods out of the house - or if they are someone else's, ask that person to put them away.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Are you eating enough during the day prior to doing this? Meaning.. your calorie goal is not setup too aggressively in that you are not eating enough period causing you to binge?

So without knowing what this actually is (stress related, food restriction as in you crave a sweet treat etc) its hard for me to say exactly how.. perhaps plan your calories around this, do not buy the foods you binge on, perhaps dipping more into your free will?
  • beckyjo48
    beckyjo48 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! Evenings are my downfall as well! Haven't found a good fix, but I have tried somethings which are mostly distractions such as going to the gym at that time, picking up my crocheting projects, having something sweet that's within my calorie limits and I let my hufamilt know that in struggling and they help me get threw it.
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I find that if I eat dinner and I am still hungry, I just go to bed. I could stay up longer, but I would just continue eating. I don't have any other advice.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are eating enough to fuel and fulfilll you throughout the day.
    Deprivation almost always leads to over-eating.

Try eating little and often throughout your day - keep your tummy topped up, so to speak.
    You won't feel the need to grab everything in sight out of hunger when you return from work :)
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Plan on having a snack when you get home to take the edge off until dinner - a protein bar maybe, or some fruit - just enough to fill the void until your next meal. I used to get home from work and have a peanut butter sandwich on a regular basis, and that just got me fat. Now, I get home and decompress with a diet soda, or a cup of tea and just take a few minutes to let the stress drift off before I prep dinner. This kind of eating is actually pretty much a habit, and one that you can change with some good old will power.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I sane myself 300-400 calories every night after dinner. It has helped a lot.
  • nclmcdon
    nclmcdon Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the great ideas. I honestly think I get bored and eat. I'm so exhausted from the day that fighting temptation is too taxing. Therefore I binge. Then I hate myself for ruining another day
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    duddysdad wrote: »
    I find that if I eat dinner and I am still hungry, I just go to bed. I could stay up longer, but I would just continue eating. I don't have any other advice.

This is one of the best answers I have found. The other benefit is that extra rest actually feels pretty darn good. Just wish I was smart enough to do it all the time.
  • delboy604
    delboy604 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I find a tin of tuna works great lol. Strange but true. Lol
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I save calories for the evening snacks.
    If I don't have a lot of room left in my calorie goal, plain popcorn is my go-to.
  • MysticWitch13
    MysticWitch13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I find myself nervously "looking around" in the evening, trying not to eat after dinner or have a drink, so I make a big cup of Lemon/Jasmine sleepytime tea. That really helps me stop "looking" and relax for the evening.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I used to the the "grazing" thing after work, a little bit of this, a little bit of that. But the calories really added up. Now I take an afternoon snack to work. If you need 2 afternoon snacks, one to eat right before you get home....do that. Anything to break the habit.
  • pescetarian_love
    pescetarian_love Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I brush my teeth early.

Drink a cup of tea.

Go for a walk.

I actually go into the bedroom an hour early before bed so I stay away from the kitchen!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    After years of tracking I can see my resolve steadily slip later in the day. I think my will power is completely worn out. I have used several strategies. I have a hundred calorie snack just before I leave the office (half a protein bar). Supper is ready when I get home.

I have distractions ready in the evening including a big glass of ice water flavoured with Mio or lemon. Straw for a sense of luxury. A big bowl of air popped popcorn. Knitting. (Just try and snack and knit at the same time). A good book. Cuddle blanket.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,027 Member
    Options
    I eat less during the day so I can have more calories available for the evening. If mindless snacking is the problem then try to find something to do then that you can't snack while doing. I take my dogs for walks in the evening.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    nclmcdon wrote: »
    Thanks all for the great ideas. I honestly think I get bored and eat. I'm so exhausted from the day that fighting temptation is too taxing. Therefore I binge. Then I hate myself for ruining another day

Perhaps save up the majority of your calories for the evening?
  • BridgetHarrington
    Options
    I keep cauliflower and cucumbers cut up in a ziploc. I sprinkled Mexican hot pepper in with them. Shake it up. This gives me the crunch that I look for when I want to snack, but the calories are negligible. The spiciness of the pepper makes you feel like you are snacking on something snackworthy and not veggies.